Belize Nov 2005 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LBR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Belize Trip Report:
We just returned from a diving trip in Belize and had a great time. We stayed on Caye Caulker, a small island about an hour from Belize City.
No cars are permitted on the island, so a few residents putter around on golf carts. Nice mellow vibe here and no harassment for tourist business or time-shares.
Good food too, I'd recommend Amor Y Cafe for breakfast and Rasta Pasta for lunch/dinner (although the service is glacially slow here!).
We stayed at Treetops hotel and had a nice private balcony overlooking the ocean.
Day 1 and Day 2 dives were done with Frenchies. Their website has been down for a while so I wasn't sure if they were still in business but we wandered
down to the end of the island and found their shop. We had also considered diving with Belize Diving Services, but they booked up on day1.
Frenchies took us out at 9:30 am to Ho Chan National Reserve. We went with 10 divers and the DM dove with us in 2 separate groups of 5.
The vis was around 80 feet and we saw a sea turtle, spotted ray, and lots of fish. During the surface interval they took us snorkeling at Shark Ray alley where we swam with Nurse sharks and rays. I believe they were
attracted by the chum dumped from other boats in the area, so it wasn't a truly natural experience, but interesting never less.
The water temp was warm enough to wear a shorty and I was comfortable, but my wife said she would have preferred a full wetsuit.
We did two dives on Day 1, one to 70ft and the second to 60ft. The first was an anchored dive and the second was a drift dive.
The dive masters did a good job of briefing us and pointing out interesting sea life.
Day 2 we had hoped to dive Turneffe Atolls with Frenchies, but they were unable to sign up enough folks. We ended up
doing a local dive with them to Chapel Canyons. For these dives, it was just my wife and I with two Dive Masters (Alex and Michelle), so that was nice.
Alex has been diving in Belize for years and is a very funny guy. He brought a small portable radio and amused us with trivia on the obscure hits of the 70's during our surface breaks.
We squeezed through narrow canyons of coral for the first dive and then did a drift dive for the second. I would say this
area is very similar to Ho Chan and in my mind features much cheaper and less crowded diving. No other divers were seen in the area.
Day3 we switched operators and dove with Paradise Down. They had larger boats and more "professional" feel then Frenchies.
We went out to Turneffe and did three dives, one anchored and two drift dives. It was a large group of around 12 divers and we all dove in one large group
with two divemasters. The vis was 40 feet and the black coral walls were a treat to see. Large schools of fish here as well as lobster, trumpet fish, and a puffer fish. There were a couple of pockets of cold water we swam through but most of the
time the water temp was comfortable. They gave us a decent lunch and soft drinks during our second break and always had free water on board.
I would recommend both dive operators we used on this trip, but I preferred to smaller groups that Frenchies takes out. My wife and I are new to diving and felt very comfortable and safe with both operators.
We did not dive the famous Blue Hole but talked to a guy who did it with Paradise Down and said it was spectacular. He also seemed to think that Paradise Down went to better locations in the Ho Chan reserve than other operators.

Great report, will be booking a trip back to Belize shortly, thinking of a liveaboard this time.

My wife and I also just got back from a dive trip to Ambergris Caye, Belize over Thanksgiving week. I will be writting up a trip report soon as I get some time. We stayed on Ambergris Caye..rental house on the north side of San Pedro. We dove 2 days locally with Chuck & Robbie. They are a smaller outfit...did a very good job watching over us newbies also. We also did the Turneffe Elbow dive with Amigos Del Mar...but didn't actually dive the elbow due to bad viz and currents there that day.

lbr,
welcome to this board.
thank you for the trip report.
i'll be meeting a friend from holland this coming may in belize.
we will be staying on a liveaboard.
from you it sounds like we will be doing some good diving.
regards,

Jeff88:
My wife and I also just got back from a dive trip to Ambergris Caye, Belize over Thanksgiving week. I will be writting up a trip report soon as I get some time. We stayed on Ambergris Caye..rental house on the north side of San Pedro. We dove 2 days locally with Chuck & Robbie. They are a smaller outfit...did a very good job watching over us newbies also. We also did the Turneffe Elbow dive with Amigos Del Mar...but didn't actually dive the elbow due to bad viz and currents there that day.

I am heading that way for Chistmas. How warm was the water? Can I get away with just a 3 mil shortie? (...even for the blue hole?) Please advise.

RE: water temp
The water temp was around 81 F average. I was fine in a 3 mil shorty but some of the women on the boat complained of being a bit cold in theirs. I think it depends on your nature and body size. There were some brief pockets of cold water at Turneffe but nothing too bad. One guy dove with just a rash guard and had no problem.
I didn't do the Blue Hole so I don't know what those conditions would be but I believe you are only at the bottom (150 ft) for around 4 min so a shorty might work.

Yep...water temp was 81-82 for all our dives. I dove wearing just a dive skin...my wife wore the bottom half of a 3mm farmer john suit. We were both fine...didn't get cold at all.

People regularly dive the BH in shorts and teeshirt, even in winter, though they have something warmer to put on when they're back on the boat. If you come to Belize with a well-fitting 3mm full suit (long arms and legs) you should be fine year-round. This is for an average person. If you're a person who suffers from the cold then you know you may need something thicker. If (like me) you rarely suffer from the cold you can probably get away with a skin.

The warmth of a wetsuit is far more affected by good fit than it is by thickness. It's best to get a good quality suit made for you - only costs a little more than off-the-peg but obviously takes longer and needs planning. And make sure you buy from people who really know what they're doing when they make suits. All the experienced divers I know have made-to-measure suits.

LBR -

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. I have always wanted to visit Belize and especially Caye Caulker. I have read so much about it that I feel like I have been there.

I was wondering about the pricing for everything you did while there. Hotel per night? Scuba? Dinners? Drinks? Etc. I would like to price it for a trip in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom