Belize or Honduras diving - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathleen

Reaction score
This is my first message on this service. I could use some help with picking a dive destination for late July/August. My choices are Belize or Honduras. Which one has the best diving for the buck? I also would like to travel in the same country after I dive.

My experience in diving is varied. I have been a dive master for 8 years and have dived in many hard cold areas. I also have been diving in Cayman, Hawaii, Cozumel, Delaware, Florida, California, Utah, Canada, Cabo and Washington State.

I am a sixth grade teacher and I have all of August off and need a well earned vacation. My age is slightly above middle-aged. I am a strong diver and love to stay above 100 feet.

Suggestions would be very helpful. Please, could I have some for low prices, great dives, low prices, interesting people, low prices, and lots of people to talk to, and (since I am traveling single) no honeymoon resorts. As I said before, I want to continue traveling a little in the country - eco tours, mayan ruins, etc. (must be cheap).

Many, many thanks! Kathleen:mean: :)

We visited belize last July and dove the area known as "glovers
reef" We stayed at the manta resort. The diving was very nice and we say plenty of things. The island is tiny. There were 8 guests when we went (and we were four of them). But the staff was very nice. I prefer to get up just in time for the first dive and eat when I get back. The kitchen staff had no problem with this.

The accomodations are a bit primitive, but they did have to make
their own power and desalinate their own water. The kitchen
and bar area are very nice though and that is where we spent
most of our time.

My recollection was that it was not as expensive as some places
I had been to. It was quite hot when we were there, but they
do have A/C in the rooms.

- ayman

Roatan is likely to cost less. I have been to Ambergris Caye in Belieze twice and Roatan 4 times and will keep going back to both. (On my way to Belize at the end of this month.)

Ambergris Caye has night life. Most of the all inclusive dive resorts on Roatan are quiet after 9 pm. I would like to see what is like to stay at the west end in Roatan one of these days. See my trip reports on Fantasy Island on Roatan.

Good luck K- feel free to PM me about these locations.

I loved Fantasy Island in 2001, and I'm looking forward to going back July 26! Nice resort, good food, and diving to die for! I'm going with a Lubbock Texas group, but don't really know any of them well. If your plans happen to develop my way, let me know. :flags:

Happy bubbles. :eek:ldguy:

I've never been to Belize. I have been to Raotan a few times. The airfare is cheap if you fly taca and the diving is great. There are many nice all inclusive resorts on the island. Not much to see on the island. If you fly to the mainland Copan is a really cool place to visit. PM me if you want more information.

Jray

Back
Top Bottom