Belize Pirates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all the replies. Is there a section of Belize or a particular vendor that would be less likely to have such an event occur?

I appreciate all the replies. Is there a section of Belize or a particular vendor that would be less likely to have such an event occur?

Are you coming to Belize to dive with a resort and a dive operation?

Or are you concerned about cruising on a charter vessel, possibly sailing down or renting a boat?

Two vastly different issues.

In that you started this thread by referencing an incident with a chartered sail boat... is that your concern?

If you are coming to a dive resort operation, I would do it in Mid May and get the hell out of Chicago. Much safer in Belize, certainly during that time-frame. (The NATO/Nobel Protests)

Are you coming to Belize to dive with a resort and a dive operation?

Or are you concerned about cruising on a charter vessel, possibly sailing down or renting a boat?

Two vastly different issues.

In that you started this thread by referencing an incident with a chartered sail boat... is that your concern?

If you are coming to a dive resort operation, I would do it in Mid May and get the hell out of Chicago. Much safer in Belize, certainly during that time-frame. (The NATO/Nobel Protests)

what RM said... I have close friends living in Corazol Town, they just spend two weeks sailing down south and back again.. NO problems. .
This particular issue, has been talked about privately.. My thoughts, knowing more than I am willing to say in public.. it was a crime of oppurtunity.. boat sat for several days in one spot, clueless tourists on a charter..

Go have fun, find a dive op down south and enjoy, you are fairly safe.. I happen to like Hopkins myself..

For a regular dive trip down south I dont think anyone has anything to worry about, this is clearly a charter catamaran type of incident and it is my understanding that those types of sailors are aware that when sailing Pirates are a real threat especially in certain parts of the world, however I have only ever heard of one other case in Belize and that was years and years ago.

In my limited knowledge this is most likely a very isolated incident but anyone chartering a large sailboat and sailing in remote areas should always be on alert for possible Pirate attacks although admittingly Belize does not really suit the MO for blood thirsty pirates these days.

Gaz Cooper
Dive Belize - The Complete Guide to Diving Belize

Most of the pirates moved on land years ago.

Resort or live aboard. I don't live in those areas of Chicago!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom