Belize Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Zimmerly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking about going to Belize for the first time in May/June. Any recommendations from the following would be helpful:

- SUNBREEZE BEACH HOTEL
- RAMON'S VILLAGE
- BLACKBIRD CAYE RESORT
- TURNEFFE ISLAND LODGE
- HAMANASI RESORT

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Completely different areas of the country. What is your itinerary?

I'm interested in hearing the opinions as well :)

Dave Zimmerly:
Thinking about going to Belize for the first time in May/June. Any recommendations from the following would be helpful:

- SUNBREEZE BEACH HOTEL
- RAMON'S VILLAGE
- BLACKBIRD CAYE RESORT
- TURNEFFE ISLAND LODGE
- HAMANASI RESORT

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Hi Dave-
You've got a broad range of choices here. The Board will need a little more info about what you're looking for and what you'd like to do. Dive, drink, eat, tour, or all four? Sunbreeze and Ramon's are on a "big" little island. Blackbird and Turneffe, on "little" little islands with not much else. Hamanasi is on the Mainland. I'ts kinda like compairing apples to oranges. Ken :42:

I'd head out to Ambergrise Cay if I were you. Not much fun in Belize City. The best diving is off shore. Turneffe is quiet, and can be a bit rough this time of year... Lots happening on Ambergrise... Just a thought!

"Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!"

Dave Zimmerly:

- SUNBREEZE BEACH HOTEL
- RAMON'S VILLAGE
- BLACKBIRD CAYE RESORT
- TURNEFFE ISLAND LODGE
- HAMANASI RESORT

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Avoide Ramon's Village, not private, a lot of people traffic on the beach, which is also not private, and the resort was kind of noisey. There were some security isssues with all the town traffic throughout the place too. Rooms not very comfortable and a bit smallish. It's fine for the young, single diver, but not too ideal for mature couple. see my trip report on Ramon's
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=104855&highlight=pilot+fish

I hear great things about Turneffe Lodge but there is nothing to do on that small island, if that's important to you.

I stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge in June of '04. The seas were never too rough to dive, although June is close to the end of the season, I think. The diving was excellent. You are a 5-10 minute skiff ride to The Elbow, potentially one of the best dives in Belize, as well as a dozen other dive sites. The setting is idyllic; my girlfriend and I found the remoteness and quietude romantic. I would consider going by myself, but I'd bring a lot of books. The accommodations were very good, keeping in mind the remoteness. While not modern, the bungalows were comfortable, clean, and insect-free. The food was also good, served family style at two or three long tables on a schedule. Of course, that was three years ago, and your experience will be highly dependent on the small staff currently working there.

I just got back from Ambergris Caye. I would vote for the Sunbreeze Hotel. I stayed there in 2001. The best meal we had was at the Blue Water Grill on the grounds of the Sunbreeze. When we go back that is where I will stay.

I was at Ramons in the spring of 2005.... and loved every minute of it. Had my family of four (two adults, two kids), and no problems.

The straw hut rooms are cool, the pool area and dining is great, and instant access to the beach...actually, the only beach area around.

Didn't have any problems. I would suggest diving with both Ramons and Aqua Dives.

Be sure to take the all day trip on the purple boats (I can't remember the company name). They have a trip where they take you to this little island to snorkel, then to a man made island to pick up some fish from a local fisherman, then to some other island to walk around and explore, then to a manatee area, then sea horse area, then shark-ray alley, including lunch, all in one day. It was a LOT of fun.

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread a little bit, but I figured it's better than spamming
the board with a whole new thread.

My wife and I are looking to plan a scuba trip to Belize next year around
Jan-March. Here is the pertinent info.

We'll be traveling with my brother-in-law and his wife who also dive. They went
to Belize with my mother-in-law two years ago and loved it. I *think* they stayed
at Ramone's, is that possible (i.e. does Ramone's have lodging and diving?). I know
for sure that they did their diving with them. The info from my mother-in-law
was that it was good, but the "place they really wanted to stay was right next
door called "The plaza" or something"? Does that make sense to anyone who has
been there?

So if we go, we'll be with them, my mother-in-law will come again because we plan
to bring our 13-month-old (he'll be two years old then next year) son with us. She
can watch him while we dive at least. Also there is one other couple we are
friends with who just got certified and will likely come with us. So 8 people total,
one who doesn't dive, one who is too young to dive, and 6 divers. If someone
can give us a recommendation on Ambergris Caye, especially any info about this
"plaza" place my mother-in-law mentioned, that would be great.

We just went to Habitat Curacao March 16th through the 23rd and had a wonderful
time there. We loved the shore diving which was included, the friendly people,
good food, and great things to see on our dives. It was a bit far from the town
though to do stuff when we weren't diving, but that was the only complaint.

Adam
Chicago area

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom