Belize to Roatan - Best way???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Bill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning to travel to Belize and Roatan in July and our travel agent is having trouble finding us a flight or other means of transportation from Belize to Roatan. The best itinerary presented takes us from Dallas to Belize, stay in Belize for a week, and then Belize to Houston to Roatan.

Does anybody have info about local airlines or boat travel between the two? Any constructive input would be appreciated (I also expect and will enjoy the non-constructive comments... :wink: ).

Any additional information about diving would be great. We had intended to stay on Ambergris Caye while in Belize and the Posa Arco Iris in the West End of Roatan.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Scuba-Bill:
our travel agent is having trouble finding us a flight or other means of transportation from Belize to Roatan.(I also expect and will enjoy the non-constructive comments... :wink: ).Any additional information about diving would be great.
Bill

Change travel agents. Seriously. You are dealing with a turkey.

Air is your only option. Various feeder airlines owned (or not) by TACA buzz between mainland Honduras, the Islands, and Belize City.

The Bay Islands, much like the reefs of Belize that lie 90 miles to the NNW, are perfect for finding little, microscopic critters.

Go- hoping for a Whale Shark, but...be deliciously satisfied by finding Pipefish, Blennies, Squid, and all the other little stuff a good DM will point out.

Roatan rewards those with good observational skills and perfect buoyancy.

Atlantic Airways flies out of Belize to mainland Honduras and on to Roatan. They're a subsidiary of TACA and you can book at the TACA desk at Belize Airport. I did that about 2 years ago. The plane is a bit...uhhhhh...rustic and can be pretty hot sitting on the ground but we made it.

we're going to utila first and then belize afterwards - also in july.

there is, as people mention, the possibility of a TACA flight. But there is also a boat from Belize to Honduras, see: http://www.belizenet.com/boatcharters/

But the most interesting way (well, at least as I see it) is a sailboat. We went to Utila three years ago, and saw posts/adds for a sailboat doing the trip in three days or so. So this summer we're hoping to catch a ride with something like that, it sound like the trip of a lifetime to me!

as for diving - again, i havent been to roatan, but utila isn't far away. and i think it is really good. lots of little things to see, but also quite a few turtles, tons of rays, parrotfish etc.

the best thing of it all though - the laid back atmosphere. kick back with a caparinha or a beer after a good day of diving - it's hard to beat that!

Back
Top Bottom