Belize to San Pedro would appreciate any input!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slightly off subject but air fare goes up every year and is fast approaching the point where it will be cheaper just to drive to Placencia rather than fly. Especially if two or more are in the party.

Right now Maya has a range of fares that start cheaper but end more expensive than Tropic's single fare. But I don't trust them to not bump me if the plane is full of higher paying customers, so I booked my upcoming flight on Tropic.

I wish I could take a water taxi to Placencia. That would be really interesting, at least the first time.

the difference in cost will be made up by Placencia being 20 miles from the reef so gas will be much more.

so I am headed to Amergris Caye and the resort has made it sound like the trip by water taxi is a fate worse than death, They are an agent for the airlines so I assume they get a little something if I fly everyone

one of my boys HATES small planes and I save 700 by going via taxi

Can anyone tell me any information on the water taxi vs the ferry or any way via water?

The resort has pissed me off so much that I would cancel everything but that would disappoint family and I am on my way

Thanks in advance

the water taxi is on the water isnt it? when its windy it will be wavy, when its not windy it will be calm

so I am headed to Amergris Caye and the resort has made it sound like the trip by water taxi is a fate worse than death, They are an agent for the airlines so I assume they get a little something if I fly everyone

one of my boys HATES small planes and I save 700 by going via taxi

Can anyone tell me any information on the water taxi vs the ferry or any way via water?

The resort has pissed me off so much that I would cancel everything but that would disappoint family and I am on my way

Thanks in advance
The water taxi was fine. I took it back and forth from Belize City and San Pedro.

Thanks everyone,

I took the water taxi there and back, the hotel went way overboard in their description of the water taxi, went so far as saying that folks with back problems shouldnt get on boat.

I don't have any health issues they were just trying to get me on the plane, they must get a few percentage points as they are an agent.

a little sleazy

Slightly off subject but air fare goes up every year and is fast approaching the point where it will be cheaper just to drive to Placencia rather than fly. Especially if two or more are in the party.

Right now Maya has a range of fares that start cheaper but end more expensive than Tropic's single fare. But I don't trust them to not bump me if the plane is full of higher paying customers, so I booked my upcoming flight on Tropic.

I wish I could take a water taxi to Placencia. That would be really interesting, at least the first time.

We never been to Belize, and my wife and I are staying in Placencia in June. I decided to reach out to you since you mentioned driving to Placencia.

I am considering driving instead of flying, at least one way, to get a feel for the rest of the country since we plan to spend most of our vacation on the peninsula.

It appears to take about 3+ hours. Can you give me a little more info on the drive? My guess is it's very scenic, but how difficult/bumpy a drive is it? I know that the rainy season starts in June - are any of the roads dirt, and would they be passable after a big rain? Anything else I should know to inform the decision?

Thanks.
Perry

Thanks everyone,

I took the water taxi there and back, the hotel went way overboard in their description of the water taxi, went so far as saying that folks with back problems shouldnt get on boat.

I don't have any health issues they were just trying to get me on the plane, they must get a few percentage points as they are an agent.

a little sleazy

We took the plane from Belize City to Ambergris Caye, but I am prone to seasickness so the plane sounded like a good idea to me!

We never been to Belize, and my wife and I are staying in Placencia in June. I decided to reach out to you since you mentioned driving to Placencia.

It appears to take about 3+ hours. Can you give me a little more info on the drive? My guess is it's very scenic, but how difficult/bumpy a drive is it? I know that the rainy season starts in June - are any of the roads dirt, and would they be passable after a big rain? Anything else I should know to inform the decision?

Thanks.
Perry

I've made the airport <----> Placencia drive a number of times. Three hours sounds about right.

The car rental offices are right across the parking lot from the airport, about a one minute walk. There aren't many roads in Belize, so getting around by car is actually very easy. The roads you'll be on aren't great but they will be paved the entire way. And they're actually in decent shape for the most part except for a couple of quick stretches on the Western Highway which will get a little bumpy but nothing too serious. And you could divert off on to a dirt road (the Coastal Highway) for about 60 miles, but I don't recommend it for first-timers and a four wheel drive vehicle would be a really good idea. All the roads, except for that dirt one, will be passable even after a big rain. If you do get caught in a torrential downpour, find a place to pull off the road and wait it out. You probably won't have to wait for long.

The most scenic part will be the Hummingbird Highway, which begins in Belmopan, the capital "city," and goes all the way to Dangriga on the coast, but you'll turn off on the Southern Highway about 10 miles before you would get to Dangriga. The Western Highway is mostly wet savannah country until you hit the hill with the zoo, then it turns into higher, somewhat dryer scrub that becomes more jungle as you go along. The Hummingbird cuts through the Maya Mountains and is absolutely beautiful. There will be a number of one lane bridges on the Hummingbird so be prepared to wait your turn if there's a line on the other side. The Southern Highway is mostly flat to rolling hills with orange groves and banana farms. And the road after the turnoff to Placencia is US quality except for a really rough patch on a curve just after you reach Riversdale at the top of the peninsula.

Don't expect the rental car to be up to the standards here in the US. You're probably going to get something a bit um, scruffier. As long as the brakes work, you'll be fine, lol.

One thing to be very aware of is how Belize controls car traffic as you pass through a village. You're unlikely to see a cop except at the checkpoint on the way to Belmopan or possibly the one on the Hummingbird Highway. Just as likely they'll be manned by Belizean soldiers. Show them your driver's license, and they'll wave you through. So instead of traffic cops, they use speed bumps. Seriously big speed bumps. As you enter a village, the typical pattern is a set of three warning speed bumps that you can hit at speed with no problem. They're just telling you to slow down. Then the real speed bumps start. They are usually marked with a sign but not always, so keep a sharp lookout. All it takes is once, unless you're a slow learner like me, ahem, in which case it might take twice, for you to be launched into the air by one of these things. There's usually at least two or three of these placed at random in a village. Sometimes, they're marked as a pedestrian crosswalk, which is pretty hilarious as there's no reason why a villager would cross there as opposed to anywhere else. Then you cross the warning speed bumps again and you're on your way. The first ten miles or so of the road into Placencia is wide open, but once you hit the first warning bumps there will a lot of speed bumps the rest of the way down the peninsula.

A couple of highlights: the Belize Zoo is on the Western Highway about halfway between Belize City and Belmopan. Big sign on the right as you climb the first real hill. It's a very cool zoo run by an ex-pat, Sharon Matola. Just past the zoo are a couple of American style restaurants on the left if you want to stop for lunch. Soon after leaving Belmopan on the Hummingbird, you'll see a Mennonite dairy farm on the left. They sell milk and ice cream. Great place to stop for an ice cream cone. Just before you get to MP 30 there's the locally famous "spot" where you can stop, put it in neutral and roll backwards uphill. It's not marked, for obvious reasons, so you would probably need a local to show you but if you see the marker on the left, you could turn around, go back to the top of the hill, then start coming back down and see if you can find it. It's really best, though, if you do this at night so you can see traffic coming from a long ways away. Further down the road, you'll see the signs for The Blue Hole. Nice place for a dip. After you come out of the mountains there's a fruit processing plant on the left where they process all the fruit. They have a small store at the entrance gate. Great place to grab a cold fresh juice.

Be prepared for high gas prices. Typically double what we pay in the US. Gas stations in Ladyville, Belmopan and just before you turn on the Southern Highway.

You have two choices when you leave the airport: turn right, drive the 15 or so miles into the outskirts of Belize City, look for the signs that direct you to the Western Highway to Belmopan and go that way. Or turn left, drive through Ladyville, then turn left onto Burrell Boom Cut and hook up with the Western Highway in Hattieville. I always turn left, but I know where I'm going. Still, I hesitate to send you into Belize City so I recommend that you get a good map or at least directions and turn left when you leave the airport. The turn on Burrell Road isn't terribly well marked but it's the only road of consequence off to the left. Takes about 15 minutes to get there from when you first turn left leaving the airport. If you see signs for the Baboon Sanctuary, you're headed the right way. Other than that, you should have no problems finding your way around.

This probably won't be an issue, but driving at night on the highways is not a pleasant experience. Street lights are pretty much non-existent and so are sidewalks, so the locals like to walk out on the roads. Try to plan your trip so that you're not driving at night as much as possible.

Last edited:
Lol, I tried to include all things I wish I had known the first time I made the drive.

Perry, I forgot to mention I'll be in Placencia in June, arriving June 1 and leaving June 23, spending the last night in Belize City so I can catch an early flight out. If you're diving with Splash, I'm sure we'll see each other.

Downing, thanks for the great reply - I really appreciate all the effort you put into it.

I do plan to dive with splash, so I look forward to meeting you. I owe you a drink for the great advice!!

Back
Top Bottom