Belize tour of Mayan sites, Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in Tikal last November taking a day trip from Belize City. The local airlines do the tours which are the same ones that the tour operators offer. Well worth the trip. Some photo's of San Pedro and Tikal are at http://www.pbase.com/bridgenet click on the Belize picture for the sub-folders. You'll have to check your hotel for the guides that can be provided if your driving but there are lots of tours.

Kev

Make arrangements with Jaguar Paw Resort to Tube the Mayan Caves. It's about a 3 hr. adventure where you sit in your own innertube and a guide takes you on a tour in and out of sacred Mayan caves via a clean, shallow river telling you stories and singing Mayan songs. You will even wear a miner's light on your head for when you get out of sight of the entrances and exits. You'll take an easy, interesting, short hike to the river through the jungle, tube the caves, and exit out near the resort. I've done it twice and enjoyed both rides.

Barracuda2

I am having second thoughts about going to Tikal by land. I have read on belizeforum that over the past few years armed bands have even stopped tour buses to commit crimes. Think I'll stick to Caracol and Xunantunich (sp?) on this trip. Maybe it would be more safe to fly to Guatemala from Belize on a future trip if we think it is worth the risk. I know those who have been there will say that is crazy, but its my wife and not yours. I am not going to make her feel that uncomfortable on our vacation.

Are you crazy? :wink:

Really though, you could read many similar things about almost every destination in CA, SA. I think I just heard the same thing about Costa Rica, or was it Ecuador, maybe Honduras.... I never said it was perfect, I said "Just the ride through Guatemala is an experience". That's kinda close to "There are armed Bandits that are going to get you" :eyebrow: But if your wife would truly be uncomfortable, I can understand. If you're going to skip Tikal don't miss Caracol. Whatever you do in the Cayo... DO NOT GET ATTACKED BY BANDITS.

gdenny:
DO NOT GET ATTACKED BY BANDITS.

Always a good idea! Just a final follow up post to anyone who may search this thread in the future. Sorry to need to post and also hear about this.

Guatemala Alert Issued After Americans Raped, Attacked World - Reuters, Wed Nov 3, 2004 4:32 PM ET

GUATEMALA CITY (Reuters) - The United States issued a serious security warning for Guatemala on Wednesday after a series of attacks on U.S. citizens in the Central American nation, including the rapes of children.

A statement from the U.S. Embassy said there have been three serious assaults on U.S. citizens in 10 days. In two of them minors were raped.

The statement did not come with a recommendation to avoid travel to Guatemala, which is battling a surge of violent crime. Buses and trucks are frequently held up in broad daylight.

In some of the cases, the attackers wore police uniforms and used police-like vehicles to trick their victims into stopping, the embassy said.

It was not clear if the attackers were police, although the embassy statement said police might have been involved in some of the attacks. The embassy declined to give further details.

While the vast majority of victims are Guatemalan, the embassy registers attacks against hundreds of U.S. tourists every year and is concerned that criminal activity is on the increase.

In recent months, high-ranking officers in Guatemala's notoriously corrupt police force have been suspended for alleged involvement in gangs dedicated to kidnapping and assault.

Several members of the office for professional responsibility, whose duty is to monitor police behavior, were recently fired for alleged corruption.

"We are retraining the remaining personnel, so that they work against the bad police," police spokesman Oscar Piveral said.

mdteague:
Always a good idea! Just a final follow up post to anyone who may search this thread in the future. Sorry to need to post and also hear about this.

Guatemala Alert Issued After Americans Raped, Attacked World - Reuters, Wed Nov 3, 2004 4:32 PM ET

GUATEMALA CITY (Reuters) - The United States issued a serious security warning for Guatemala on Wednesday ....

Hay Caramba! I see your point. Looks like things have flared up a bit since I was there last year. If they were just stopping people and taking their money I would say "go for it anyway". But jeez, if they're gonna get all violent about it. By all means, spend your money where you feel safe.

mdteague:
We are planning to stay a few days, probably in San Ignacio, in March for land tours. Do you guys have any recomm. on places to see, stay and tour operators? I really like to have a good tour guide for Mayan history. We are not into camping or "roughing it". Thanks, Mike

I went to the ruin just north of the airport one day (Altunha?) while killing time waiting for someone, and saw what I thought was a bit strange. They aren't just ruins anymore. They're being refurbished with cement and new structure to make them appear as they once were. I don't know. To me, it would be better to make a small model of what they looked like, but leave the original structures alone.

I strongly recommend a day in the wet cave Actun Tunichil Muknal (I think that spelling's correct). An incredible experience - look it up on the web. It's south of Teakettle, nearer to Belmopan than San Ignacio. You'll find Green Dragon (internet cafe, tour guide office, and a nice place just to hang out) in the center of SI very helpful for this and all other tours, and they know all the best tour guides. They're also near the best backpacker-type places to stay. From SI you can visit Xununtunich very easily, cheaply and quickly, but don't use a tour guide. My visit took 10 minutes each way by taxi, followed by a lovely walk up to the ruins, and cost Bz$10 total.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom