Belize Tragedy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just like that little Standard Horizon radio -- it's what I spec'd for a job. A neat little package, complete with the strobe.

ba_hiker:
1) the boat in the forground has two outboards, the one in the background has only a single. Two is probably the minimum for an offshore trip. The second boat may not be adaquat to use for a rescue (only one engine).

Hard to tell, it could well have an auxiliary either attached or stowed somewhere.

2) the boats appear to be flattish bottom planing hulls (could easily be wrong here) a deep vee hull behaves much better in rough water.

Again its hard to tell looking at that, it could have a fairly acute angled keel. Without seeing a better photo its guess work.

3) This is the tropics and there is no cover visable on either boat, the sun can be hot even on an overcast day.

That could be an issue unless there is some sort of screen to slide out. Other than that if its a fast boat shuttle then there maybe no need for shade.

I cant see anything on those photos to make me think "no way" and ive been on boats that appear at least initially to be far worse.

At a bare minimum you would want to be sure that the captian had left a 'float plan' or something like it with someone trustworthy at home,

Or with the dive operator shore base. Here you telephone or radio the coastguard with a passage plan but yeah someone on shore should always have details of any sea voyage.

, had an anchor with extra line, and had extra fuel and water.

We dont know if they did or didnt have an anchor or fuel. Water though yes, essential.

*Floater*:
In the third world, you often have expensive dive resorts that offer high quality, and you can see it from the big boat and large selection of quality equipment, and then you have cheap resorts that provide lower quality, and again it's reflected in a smaller boat,

I fail to see how boat size is related to operation quality. Id rather have a fast 6 person RIB than a slow hardboat crowded with 30 divers any day

markfm:
Neat, though the price is a fair chunk more than a handheld. $285 is, though, pretty sweet for the diver's version.

I doubt I'd have any more trouble bringing a marineband handheld in-country than an EPIRB.

Range absolutely is limited. I don't have any scenarios, however, where I'm likely to be beyond LOS of land, VHF FM does have some beyond-LOS propagation, and most places actually do monitor 16, as a hailing and emergency freq.

If its a type approved radio and you hold an international recognised certificate theres no problem in importing a radio.

VHF/DSC course is only a few hours and cheap - well worth anyone doing.

Even on VHF, if you're out of line of sight of land then there are still lots of other vessels around who may well be in range to pick up and act as pan/mayday relay nodes.

*Floater*:
In the third world, you often have expensive dive resorts that offer high quality, and you can see it from the big boat and large selection of quality equipment, and then you have cheap resorts that provide lower quality, and again it's reflected in a smaller boat, limited equipment selection and quality, and everything else in addition to price. Most tourists can tell the difference and make their own choices. If you are lucky you may of course find high quality at low price (or vice versa if you are unlucky), but in general you get what you pay for.
In my experience the size and style of the boat often has more to do with local diving conditions and other factors than cheap or not. And many people prefer the ops that specifically run smaller boats with fewer divers, these are often the quality "higher end" ops.

markfm:
Wow, a legal-sounding writeup, except for the large number of basic typos.

Sorry markfm, not an attorney, or a good speller either. LOL

And you make a great point. However, the issue remains this guy appears to be an incorrigible repeat offender. Would you dive with him? What about those tourists, who for whatever circumstance, stumble upon him ignorant of his ilk? He does run a business, one catering primarily to foreign tourists. Tourism is a very important deal for some of these relatively poor countries. Let's hope they at least take action to stop and prevent these extreme operations.

Poverty or low resources is not the main issue here. As an example, there are many poor fisherman all around the world with rinky dinky boats who competently operate them as best they can within their limits, thereby preventing repeated mishaps. It's an issue of the quality of the gear between the ears.

If we adopt the point of view that ultimately sole responsibility lies with the injured party because he could have prevented the accident somewhere along the chain of events, negligent responsibility becomes non-existent, and accidents will increase. We just don't have the resources to personally become experts in every field we engage in.

This tragedy did not have to occur. Some people need to be held responsible for their actions by others, since they will never do so themselves.

Actually, if the op has a history of problems, or the assertions on what occured are true, I expect being closed down would be in the best interests of the world at large.

On the other hand, I don't do victim well. Given the sequence of events reported, I would hope to be able to see the red flags. There were multiple bailout points, based on my looking for lessons learned -- points where an alternate choice could have broken the chain that ended so tragically.

The idea is to learn from what happens to others, to not have to repeat the sequence of events. Yes, the operator may indeed be sub par (I don't know, personally), the question for me is whether there were clues/indicators that I can use myself.

I totally agree that the tragedy need not have occured, it's just that it could have been averted by positive actions on either end -- the op having better equipment or the divers not continuing the sequence of decisions that they made.

jtoorish:
Anyone know how the boat and crew made it back?

Jeff

According to what I've read, the DM swam to a caye from the boat. Not sure if the boat was later picked up, I'm guessing yes. The snorkelers and owner were snorkeling off a Caye, and I assume they went to shore, and were rescued.

The would be divers were at sea for three days before getting rescued, and one never made it back alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom