Bells and whistles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems that any electronic devise these days are overloaded with features . I purchased a new dive computer and carefully read the user manual and made a laminated short version to take when diving just in case . I analyzed the fill on my tank and set the mixture to 39% for a one hour bottom time at 80 feet . I had also purchased a map GPS unit for my boat and it would freeze up on a coordination . This was the third time out and the same B. S. was happening which meant where the hell is the barge that was my dive location . Finally after three hours and it still not working I noticed a sail boat that was anchored at the spot . I suit up and put my test DPV in the water. I roll into the water and descend down the anchor line . I had not been diving actively so was taking it easy . I glance at my computer and it was in some kind of strobe light mode . I jumped on the scooter for the test and it performed beautifully so that made me happy . I hope to get the GPS and the computer to function so I can go diving . Charles and the best of luck

It will be interesting to hear what you find out is actually going on.... :)

The gps device isn't likely to be at fault, right? What did you mean when you say "it's still not working"? What did you mean when you said it was freezing up?

The flashing light on the dive computer must be explained by the manual, right? What did you find out?

Might be a little early to blame the devices, I think. Maybe the coordinates or inputting were faulty.

I agree there can be too many "features" on these things.... :D

Dave C

I must have set the mix the night before Dave so it went into default . It is a safety feature not to hold a setting after midnight to protect the masses . So will it default in the middle of a midnight dive ? It does two gas mixtures but no deco planning . I guess that also protect the masses . I sent the $500.00 no coordinates back to the factory only after 9 hours of time while on the water trying to make it work . Does anybody own a GPS and want to go diving this weekend ? Best of luck Charles

i have a computer that defaults at midnight, and it specifically says in the manual that if you're diving at midnight it does not default.

still, it's annoying when you know what you want to tell a device & can't figure out how to tell it!

I can give a explanation after 14 years have past about my dive computer and GPS . The dive computer which acting on strobe light mode was a first generation Shearwater which had a design flaw of no gold plating on their battery terminals . The. GPS had a grounding issue since the 12 volt system was isolated with no ground to aluminum boat , so my purchase of a external antenna solved the problem. "Let The Good Times Roll" Rumdumb

Back
Top Bottom