Belmar, NJ. Diver friendly town.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive L-Street when I need to fuss with gear, clear my head, or just watch the night critters. Look for me at any lunar high in the wee hours of the morning. I always start at the boat ramp, check vis, and chill for a bit. Gives me time to pound my Karma back into shape. Walk down the ramp and disappear into the inky black water. Totally benign dive. Love it. So love it.

It appears that Belmar is trying to accommodate both boaters and divers. Not just lip service either. They built a spectacular diver entry site in the park to lure us away from the boaters. Even have lock boxes at the water's edge. So now I check the ramp (so many memories there) and then go to the park to dive. I like boats and boaters, we just need our space. :D

Why I posted:

The "No parking at night" signs are gone from Mclearie. OMG! I whined about this in a previous post, could it be that they listen to us?

Most appreciated. Really.

Did two dives there this past weekend. Enjoyed it a lot. Had a seahorse wrap around my pinky and stayed for a while. Saw quite a bit of other stuff. Fluke eels blue claw crabs horseshoe crabs hermit crabs puffer fish blennies. I liked that other divers mucked up the vis a bit it helped me to work on diving in those conditions. I was wondering about parking knowing that it is a popular night dive site. We will have to meet up for a dive or two.

Nice spring (nothing to do with season of year) tide starting around Wednesday, July 29 for the early evening divers. The weekend and Monday look really good. I'm thinking Sunday. I'm with the night shift.

Pick your tide: Tide Location Selection for New Jersey

Navigation to Maclearie Park (near L-Street): Long Branch to Seaside Heights, Shark River, New Bedford. Then click on "Jump to date selection."

Found this, posting it just for info: NOAA Ocean Explorer: Education - Multimedia Discovery Missions | Lesson 10 - Tides | Activities: Predicting the Tides

JOIN US FOR A HAPPY HOUR DIVE!
225.jpg

Date: Monday, July 13th
Time: 5:30pm
Meet at: Maclearie Park Steps.
Stop in the store Sunday or early in the day Monday if you need to rent any gear.
RSVP to either e-mailing the store or calling us at 732-776-7755.

For more information, call Divers Two at 732-776-7755

Mclearie is a great little spot and the new entrance point is nice, but one heck of a swim to get over to the pilings. A buddy of mine dive there pretty much every weekend if the tides aren't right to get into Shark River or Manasquan inlet. Ive been helping him on his low viz dives there and its a riot watching him! With all the people diving there, we lost a new IST torch there a few weeks ago, its attached to a dring and lanyard. Was pretty much on a direct angle from the last dock piling to the aluminum ramp at the boat ramp, closer to the fishing piling. Im sure with all the seaweed and silt its probably still there somewhere

If you are diving solo, you can't stand up and breathe. IMHO, that makes it deep.

Your buddy would be fine most anywhere as long as he/she is standing on your shoulders. :wink:

Definitely worth a look, full of life right now...

Mclearie is a great little spot and the new entrance point is nice, but one heck of a swim to get over to the pilings. A buddy of mine dive there pretty much every weekend if the tides aren't right to get into Shark River or Manasquan inlet. Ive been helping him on his low viz dives there and its a riot watching him! With all the people diving there, we lost a new IST torch there a few weeks ago, its attached to a dring and lanyard. Was pretty much on a direct angle from the last dock piling to the aluminum ramp at the boat ramp, closer to the fishing piling. Im sure with all the seaweed and silt its probably still there somewhere

Where are "the pilings"? Is there more/different life there?
-Thanks,
Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom