Benches for the boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wesandkim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just recently bought a used fishing boat, so itÃÔ pretty stripped down, I need to install some tank rakes and benches. I have been searching the internet high and low and have not seen anything that would fit my needs. The boat is an 18 foot Seaswirl, my wife seems to think I can use some of that fake plastic wood decking and metal, then bam dive benches. Any suggestions.... if I don't come up with a plan soon, she will and well my life will not be good. No offense to any ladies out there, my wife has good ideas, but they are way more detailed and engineered then they need to be and we end up fighting because I am not making them to her specs and so on and so on. What can I say she would rather be in the water then on land?

Open to any ideas.

Wes

Most likely you're going to have a find a fabricator and get them custom made.

Rachel

Hi Wes,

I made up some simple dive benches for my boat out of PVC pipe and Trex Decking. It works very well. ( Photo Here )

On the charter boats that I drive, we typically have the benches made for us by a welder out of Aluminum. One of the boats also has Trex slats used for the seats. If you do use Trex (or similar), be sure to support the plastic boards at 16" or less spacing. I saw a big guy sit down in a set of doubles once and go right through some trex deck boards that were supported about 20" apart. Since reducing the support spacing to less than 16", we've had no problems.

Good Luck,

These benches are the way to go.
http://www.pontoonstuff.com/forum/pontoon-forum/2313-10-replay-146-87-part.asp?PN=2
Scott is absolutely correct about the Trex or "plastic" wood. I would not use it in a structural application. I am rebuilding a boat for diving as well and used it on the front portion for the deck but carefully calculated weight issues and offset them by replacing marine plywood on the rest of the boat with this light weight composite

COMPOSITE PANEL 3/4x4'x8' COOSA BLUEWATER 20 173018

It has the same spacing issues as Trex but is available in 4x8 sheets and is 40% lighter than wood not heavier. It could be used on dive benches but Undrh20's aluminum frame is superior IMHO even if you have to pay a welder.

Here is a link to my boat project. I am going to get some dimensions from UnderH20/robert and put one of his benches on mine.

PontoonStuff Forum: Party Hut Rebuild

Last edited:
I built some out some out of Pressure treated lumber for my Trophy 2352. They bolt to the sides for easy removal. They work really well, keeping in mind we have a short season in the great lakes. PM me if you want more details

Dan

Attachments

• misc 130.jpg
    misc 130.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1,080
Thats a nice setup firediver, I would do this too with my boat but its too small. On your boat is there room to do a backroll?

There is room in the back on either side of the engine cover to back roll. . It does 4divers very well, or 5 ok. If I do five, I get the other 4 off the boat, then get dressed and go. The benches were easy to build, I built them in one afternoon, and a few beers!

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom