Benefit for Leukemia patient planned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanaut713

Reaction score
This is an urgent call for help. I don't even have the words to express how important any help would be for this family. I have included information below giving you an idea of the situation they are facing. You may PM me with any questions you may have regarding this situation and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. I have volunteered (and been approved) to assist Gary and also stay with him underwater in order to raise desperately needed funds to help the family. You may also check out Rodale Scuba Diving website for info at:

http://www.scubadiving.com/feature/news/072903savannahbenefit.shtml

Thanks in advance for your support and prayers.

We need your help.

Leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma are cancers that originate in the bone marrow (in the case of leukemia and myeloma) or in lymphatic tissues (in the case of lymphoma). Leukemia is a malignant disease (cancer) that originates in a cell in the marrow

Thirty year SPD veteran, Cpl R.L. Ennis has a 23 year old daughter with leukemia. She found out about her condition a couple of months ago. She has been given a 35% chance of survival. Her brother is going to Atlanta to see if his marrow is compatible with Alyssa's. Alyssa has been in Atlanta for a couple of weeks now. Both Alyssa and her 4 year old daughter, Katelyn, are living with Cpl. Ennis at this time.

To help out, a fund raiser is being planned. On August 16-17, 2003, Gary J. Glemboski, a Savannah Police Officer, is planning on staying underwater for at least twelve hours, maybe 13, 14 or 15. Maybe even 24!! Come by and see how long he will stay down to raise money for Alyssa. Pledges will be taken for every hour Gary stays underwater. Individuals or businesses can pledge by the hour or donate as much as they feel they can to see how long he can stay down.

The event will take place at the Jenkins High School pool from 11:00 AM on Saturday, August 16 and run continuously until Sunday, August 17 at 2:00 PM. The Savannah Sand Gnats, U.S. Coast Guard and others are scheduled to attend. There will be activities for everyone to enjoy. Food from area businesses and drinks will be available. Other events taking place include:

( Helicopter display by the U. S. Coast Guard
( Autographs by the Savannah Sand Gnats
( A presentation from the Savannah Police Department including a K-9 demonstration, and an Emergency Response Team static display
( A raffle, AND MORE!!!!

The Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) has started a fund to assist Alyssa with her medical expenses. These expenses could run several hundred thousand dollars and she is about to lose her insurance. Anyone wishing to make a donation to The Alyssa M. Ennis Fund may do so at The Savannah Bank, located either at 25 Bull Street, 400 Mall Bvd, Medical Arts Shopping Center, or on Chatham Pkwy. Anyone wishing to contribute, who doesn't want to go to the bank, may send the contribution to Sgt M. Nichols (Traffic Unit) for deposit into the account.

For further information, please contact Lt. Gary J. Glemboski at (912) 921-5451.

Thank you for your support.

Pledge Form

NAME: ______________________________________

AGE/DOB: _______________

ADDRESS: ___________________________________________

PHONE: _____________________________

FAX: ____________________________

E-MAIL: ______________________________________________

SIGNATURE: __________________________________________

Check ________ Money Order _________ Other ________

Amount Pledged Per Hour: $ ____________

Total Amount Owed: $ ____________

Make the check payable to : The Alyssa M. Ennis Fund. Funds may be sent to Sgt. M. Nichols, Savannah Police Department Traffic Unit, 201 Habersham St., Savannah, GA 31401.

Thanks again.
Emily

We only have a few days left before the benefit. However it is still hard to say how things are going at this time. Personally, I haven't had a lot of success...................that is IF you determine success by responses. I do thank you for your interest. And I will also say that the few responses that I have had have been from people that I would like to keep in touch with.

I'll be away for a few days due to a death in my family. However, I have still committed to being back in town and underwater on Saturday as quick as is humanly possible. This situation has really struck me deeply.

Sorry for the darkness of this post. It's been a truly trying week. I just keep telling myself that at least I was able to wake up healthy, and thank God for it. I am also working on planning another benefit later for Alyssa, hopefully raising the awareness about leukemia, whole blood and platelet donation, and bone marrow registry. I guess maybe if people can become aware of these things, maybe they will realize how much there is that they can do to help.

I guess I had better sign off for now, but I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the interest.

www.scuba.com is reporting that Lt. Glemboski hit the 24 hour mark and all was well. They are still taking donations for those interested.

The Fraternal Order of Police, which collected pledges for the dive, is still accepting donations for the Alyssa Ennis Fund. For more information, contact Glemboski at (912) 921-5451, or send donations to:
The Alyssa M. Ennis Fund
C/O Sgt. M. Nichols
Savannah Police Dept. Traffic Unit
201 Habersham St.
Savannah, GA 31401

Back
Top Bottom