Benefits of Buddy Diving - When Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
A short clip of some recent diving in the Bahamas with Atil and Jim. I retrieve the Mutton Snapper but the pole spear and sling shaft have both fallen out. Jim meets me on ascent and takes the sling shaft and uses it to string the fish up on the surface. I definitely had my hands full on ascent. CLEAR WATER ALERT!

Thanks
dano

snapshot-aaa32-jpg.57229.jpg

Always spearfish with a buddy, and a sharp knife. Make sure you find one that cannot swim faster than you can, preferably on blood thinners. In case of sharks, just cut them, swim away. I always refer to my buddy as my old chum.

We saw very few sharks on that recent trip. I know your comments were tongue in cheek, but having a buddy or two around to watch for sharks, especially when you are ascending with a bloody and struggling fish is very welcome.

Also, a good kill knife is a very useful tool to put the fish asleep and stop the low frequency vibrations that are so attractive to sharks; it is also more humane to the fish to quickly scramble the brain and stop any pain. The video probably does a pretty good job of demonstrating that aspect as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom