Benjamin manifold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA and Ron,

This is what I understood the Benjamin setup to be as well. Does anyone have any books that reference it with pictures?

That's functionally a Benjamin rig. I have three or four in a bin somewhere on the property, they are all slightly different, one is identical to the Sherwood that was shown.

I believe there's a picture in one of Exley's books. Everything is all packed away right now or I'd look for it. IIRC his illustration is similar to the one in post #2

The reason that I am asking this, in case anyone was curious, is that I am trying to get a feel for what guys were using as far as custom gear in the 1965-1975 period for wreck/cave diving. I know that people used old oxygen cylinders rigged to doubles as a pony bottles for redundancy, and I have been reading about how guys custom fabricated Benjamin rigs in order to allow for two tanks, two regulators, and one gas supply that could be used by either or both regs. I've even read about guys using milk jugs for redundant buoyancy. What else was out there?

As far as the name "Benjamin rig", I gathered from what I have read that they were all custom. Maybe the name stuck when Sherwood Selpac started making manifolds that performed identically (albeit looked markedly different from what I have seen), but the ones that are currently available on Ebait are pretty much just manifolds to me. Maybe when divers made the transition from using the home made stuff to using the mass produced gear the name just stuck? I get what you are saying though Thal, in terms of function they are literally identical.

I suspect that the naming may have been regional. In central Ohio and with every one in the Great Lakes and Florida caves that I dived with my "Benjamin Rigs", the term was only used with custom made configurations. While we really liked and used the Sherwood (and Nemrod) double post manifolds when they came out, I never heard anyone refer to them as "Benjamin Rigs".

Maybe the commercial manifolds were only refered to as "Benjamin Rigs" where there was no experience with the custom made ones.

I probably still have one of mine from the 70's somewhere, but haven't used it or seen it for decades.

You might call most of my current rigs "Benjamin Rigs" because they are custom made multiple post manifolds made from modified valves and fittings.

I suspect the "Benjamin" terminology was probably unique to N FL.

I suspect the "Benjamin" terminology was probably unique to N FL.
I heard it first in Ohio, later in the Great Lakes and N. Florida so it was more widespread. Dr. Benjamin was Canadian.

Maybe I should post this in the tech section, but I am curious as to what one of these looks like. Early cave divers used them, and they are incorrectly listed in many books as being the first manifold with which to double up tanks (even though Aqualung did that in 1953). Does anyone have a picture of what the Benjamin manifold looks like?

DA Aquamaster has provided an accurate description of the Benjamin Rig. I knew George Benjamin well. He introduced me to and taught me the ins and outs of cave diving. I assisted him and his son Peter for a 3-month period, mapping the Blue Holes of South Bight on Andros in 1972.

Interestingly enough, at the time he wasn't a certified diver, instructor or cave diver. No doubt he had forgotten more about diving and the underwater world than many of us will ever know.

George was an underwater photographer who owned Benjamin Film Labs in Toronto. He was a member of the Underwater Club of Canada where I learned to dive in 1964 (certified the following year). George made many "innovations" to underwater photography. Dr. Benjamin was a true pioneer with a thirst for adventure; he is missed.

Thanks to all for this history lesson. I was just scrolling through the various forums and stumbled across this tread, and even though I did not plan it, I learned something new today. Ya gotta love the internet. Regards and Happy Holidays Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom