Bent diver airlifted to London - UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The lake seems to be an old limestone quarry filled to 30 meters by a nearby river, but it claims to have crystal clear water for diving.

Diver airlifted from Kent dive-site - Divernet
A scuba diver had to be airlifted to a London hospital with suspected decompression illness after making an emergency ascent at St Andrew’s Lakes in Halling, Kent on Sunday, 20 September.

Paramedics and the air ambulance were called to the inland site near Rochester at about 1.30pm. They told Kent Online that the “experienced” diver had been in a “potentially serious condition” but was expected to make a full recovery following hyperbaric treatment.

“An experienced Master Diver had a malfunction of his own equipment and made an emergency ascent… standard emergency procedures were followed by the dive-school,” said a spokesman for St Andrews Lakes, which describes itself as “the newest inland freshwater scuba-diving site in the UK”.

Some more discussion of this incident on another thread, posted before the news article came out I think. Incident in St Andrews Lake - Regulator failed shut

Sounds like maybe not bent but taken to chamber to be on the safe side?
He was totally fine according to his buddy, the article is exaggerating.

He was sent to the chamber and kept 24h under observation just to be on the safe side because he did a cesa from deep.

The lake seems to be an old limestone quarry filled to 30 meters by a nearby river, but it claims to have crystal clear water for diving.
The lake bottom is chalk, it is very pretty at the surface because the chalk reflect the light, but it can also block your lights when diving. If you kick the silt, it will become really opaque and zero vis very quickly.

There is a thermocline, it is always 6-8 C all year around in the bottom half.

Here are a few pics from TripAdvisor

Clear, blue chalk quarry with depths of 38m. - Picture of St Andrews Lakes Diving, Halling - Tripadvisor

I can't see calling for an expensive medical helicopter ride when he wasn't exhibiting symptoms. London is only an hour's drive from the quarry. Put him on oxygen and carry him in the ambulance that took the first call maybe, but with no symptoms, I would have refused the ride. But I don't know what his dive computer said.

I can't see calling for an expensive medical helicopter ride when he wasn't exhibiting symptoms. London is only an hour's drive from the quarry. Put him on oxygen and carry him in the ambulance that took the first call maybe, but with no symptoms, I would have refused the ride. But I don't know what his dive computer said.
It was maybe excessive but it’s not paid by the diver in the UK.

The diver did a cesa from 26m and they wanted to be on the safe side I think. I understand how this could be seen as a waste of resources because there wasn’t any symptoms.

I wasn’t there and this is only what his buddy told me so it’s possible that I am missing information.

It was maybe excessive but it’s not paid by the diver in the UK.
I wouldn't pay for one here either as my DAN dive insurance would cover it if my medical coverage didn't. I'd still refuse the ride. Who even called the first ambulance over a diver with no symptoms?

I wouldn't pay for one here either as my DAN dive insurance would cover it if my medical coverage didn't. I'd still refuse the ride. Who even called the first ambulance over a diver with no symptoms?
Standard practice is to call the coast guard who will put you through to experts. If they hear a fast ascent from 28m it sound some like they decide to send a helicopter. The nearest chamber is north of the river so depending on the traffic could be 90 minutes away. The helicopter has nothing better to be doing. They get used for bad car accidents too.

Helicopters are cheaper than crippled divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom