Bent in Outer Space

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting - and the fact that Outer Space approaches Absolute Zero temperature, whether it's zero Kelvin or zero Rankine, wouldn't have an effect on the vapor pressure of aqueous blood? What is the vapor pressure at near absolute zero temperature (say within 1 degree on either scale)?

NASA used to use a cabin pressure of 5 psi with 100% O2 as the space capsule could be built much lighter. Astronauts would pre breathe O2 for several hours prior to flight to prevent decompression illness. Basically the same thing that is done now before EVA's. 100% O2 atmospheres were however very dangerous on the ground at 14.7 psi and after the Apollo 1 fire, NASA modified their approach slightly to use a normal nitrogen oxygen atmosphere at launch that would then vent and be replaced with 100% O2 as the craft ascended.

The Soviet's had better booster technology and could loft hevaier payloads so they stayed with normal atmospheres at approx 15 psi. However they lost 3 cosmonauts during the rentry and descent of the Soyuz 11 when a valve opened prematurely and vented the cabin pressure. Both the Soyuz and Voskhod capsules could carry 3 consmonauts but only if they left their pressure suits behind, so the missions with 3 crewmwmbers were flown in what amounted to sweat suits and they were consequently not protected from decompression during the flight.

The vacuum in space is a great insulator but the temperature of an object in space relatively close to the sun depends on whether it is shade or in sun light. The shady side of an astronaut on an EVA will be a couple hundred below zero degrees while the sunny side will be a couple hundred above zero.

As indicated above, high altitude flight above 55,000 ft requires a pressure suit. But even at lower altitudes down to approx 40,000 feet, breathing is problematic as even with 100% O2 delivered in a positive pressure mask, the PO2 is so low that transfer of O2 in the lungs is minimal. So the issue at high altitudes is not just one of having to worry about nitrogen bubbles but also having to worry about excessively low PO2 even with 100% O2 that results in hypoxia and eventually anoxia.

Sphyrna:
In the event of decompression above 55,000' death is instantaneous, and messy... not the Hollywood rendition we've all seen.
S

I don't know. I've seen some pretty messy Hollywood renditions...we must not be watching the same movies...

James Goddard:
I don't know. I've seen some pretty messy Hollywood renditions...we must not be watching the same movies...

Don't go with what you saw in Outland(exploding bodies) or Mission to Mars(instant body freezing). 2001's a better bet. And there's no sound, even.

I think that horror flick with Sam Neil and Laurence Fishburne (Joely Richards too!) had a pretty accurate depiction... what was the name of that movie?

archman:
I think that horror flick with Sam Neil and Laurence Fishburne (Joely Richards too!) had a pretty accurate depiction... what was the name of that movie?
That would be Event Horizon.

DA Aquamaster:

The vacuum in space is a great insulator but the temperature of an object in space relatively close to the sun depends on whether it is shade or in sun light. The shady side of an astronaut on an EVA will be a couple hundred below zero degrees while the sunny side will be a couple hundred above zero.

I had interpreted 'Outer Space' as interstellar space at minimum i.e. outside the orbit of the farthest planet in our solar system, not in orbit with the Earth. No appreciable solar radiation influence nearby.

Different interpretation in region under discussion is all.

I'm working form memory here but in an explosive decompression situation with no O2 mask at 40,000 ft you have about 5 to 7 seconds of useful conciousness and will be out like a light shortly after that and that time only gets shorter as you go higher.

So it may take a couple minutes to actually die at 55,000 ft, but you will be unconcious in under 10 seconds. So your life may past before your eyes, but you won't actually see it because you will have already left the building so to speak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom