Bermuda Diving-need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point, Damsel, but this is the first thread that comes up when you search on "diving in Bermuda," and since I am planning a january 2007 trip, I am darn glad for the more recent intel.

m

Markrovner - I share your interest and am a little concerned that nobody is raving about how wonderful the wreck diving is. I'm not ungrateful for the topside advice by any means, as it often lacking in these threads.

Perhaps someone could be a little more blunt for us. Aside from the $$$ consideration, are there other locations that have better wreck diving, plus good topside distractions for non-diving SO's?

To Marrovner and HowDidIGetIntoThis? . . .

Bermuda has some very good wrecks. Living here two years running, I've done most of them. Most are substantially broken up given the shallow nature. Fishlife is not as plentiful as in the Carribean. Coral is pretty healthy.

A few words of caution: January is an iffy time in terms of number of operators doing daily scuba runs. Check with the specific operators to gauge availability for weekdays. Weekend dives are pretty much available year round. Also, to see the most wrecks in a short time, you really need to use a couple of operators as some focus on East end diving and other focus on West End/South shore diving.

BWD is an "OK" operation. Not sure how many times I've heard the same corny jokes from the DMs. I've dived with them MANY times. Wrecks are so-so. As NJD85 says, most are broken up. Best diving is with Triangle Diving near the airport. Much Much better diving and an infinitely better operation. Remember to bring a full wetsuit: The water tends to get a little chilly in winter.

Well, I'm going there in 3 weeks for work but I wanna do a dive or two. My work will let me off at about 4:30 - 5 pm. It looks like the only diving I could do at that time would be a Night dive. Does anyone know if any dive operations offer a dive around that time that woulnd't really be a night dive? This would be my first real dive since my OWD certification 2 weekends past.

Get a few dives under your belt before your first night dive. In Bermuda, the only way that you could do a twilight dive would be with a buddy from shore. Again - better if you had a few more dives done first. Your SAC is also unlikley to match anyone willing to take you out from shore.

Guess I won't be doing any dives on my trip to Bermuda. I understand the danger of flying after a dive, but I wanted to know if it was possible to dive the morning before I leave? I was thinking about doing a 9AM dive and my flight doesn't leave until 4PM. And yes I do value my life but at teh same time I would like at least one dive in Bermuda. Who knows when I'd be able to go there again.\

I might have to call out sick one day...

I emailed these 3 dive ops for info:
Blue Water Divers
Dive Bermuba
Triangle Diving

Are there any other that I can contact?

scuba_g:
I understand the danger of flying after a dive, but I wanted to know if it was possible to dive the morning before I leave? I was thinking about doing a 9AM dive and my flight doesn't leave until 4PM.
II emailed these 3 dive ops for info:
Blue Water Divers
Dive Bermuba
Triangle Diving

Are there any other that I can contact?

You do not understand the the danger of flying after a dive if you are considering flying at 6 hours after your dive. (Assuming that your dive lasts an hour). You need to wait about 24 hours after you get out of the water.

Triangle Divers are a better operation than BWD but they are geographically far apart. TD is close to the airport. All depends where you are working. Remember that you will have to get a taxi to take you and your gear anywhere. Also, BWD does not offer DM led dives. At your level of diving experience, I would strongly recommend that you have a DM along with you so Triangle is a better bet all round. Call them and chat. You will accomplish more than email.

Back
Top Bottom