Bermuda in the Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Some advice please...

I'm thinking about a family trip to Bermuda over the winter break in December/January. Yes, I'm well aware that Bermuda is not a Caribbean dive destination! But for a number of non diving related reasons, we are considering it. I have been there many times (in the summer), and my 90 year old mother who is coming with us used to summer there in the 1930s. In recent years, she has taken to going there over New Years, but missed the last two years due to an injury (from which she is now for the most part recovered).

I dive locally (NYC) in a dry suit, and I have a 5 mm Henderson hyperflex which I last used very comfortably in Florida in early spring (water temps around 69, at depth). I would have a few non-divers with me.

SO, the questions are:

1) I am told that winter diving there has terrific visibility (good for ambient light photos of wrecks). Is this true?

2) Would the dive industry be up an running in December, or would I have problems getting in the water?

3) Would topside conditions be OK for my non-divers? They aren't looking for sun worshipping on a beach, I'm sure that they would be happy to shop, go to restaurants, etc... but if it is really going to be nasty weather, it might be better to forget about it. My mom always had a good time over New Years, but she is tougher than the others.

Thanks!

Mike

No replies? I am looking forward to the answers myself!

Yeah, I was kind of hoping that someone would have tried this! Maybe it's not a good idea...

It's been a while, but for some years I was diving in Bermuda from Late November through February. The was water was cold, but a 5 mil suit and hood worked just fine. I was using boats from the Bermuda Biological Station, but I do recall that the dive operators at the hotels were still running. But remember ... that was twenty-five years ago.

It's been a while, but for some years I was diving in Bermuda from Late November through February. The was water was cold, but a 5 mil suit and hood worked just fine. I was using boats from the Bermuda Biological Station, but I do recall that the dive operators at the hotels were still running. But remember ... that was twenty-five years ago.

Thanks! I appreciate the information...

Mike

Hello,

I live in Bermuda and have been told by our dive club that they will stop diving late Nov / early Dec so do check with some dive operations whether they still dive. The water may be a bit rough around that time. Christmas is a fun time on the island, with festive lights and Christmas day on Elbow Beach is a special experience.

HJ:
Hello,

I live in Bermuda and have been told by our dive club that they will stop diving late Nov / early Dec so do check with some dive operations whether they still dive. The water may be a bit rough around that time. Christmas is a fun time on the island, with festive lights and Christmas day on Elbow Beach is a special experience.

Thanks! That does sound nice....

Mike,
We lived in Bermuda 45 years ago, chief of surgery (and the only surgeon) at Kindley AFB. The memories are somewhat distant but I remember being constantly cold and damp in the winter as we lived on the economy in a limestone home in Padget, heated only by a fireplace. In those days, take home pay for a board certified surgeon with nine years of "constructive credit" was in the range of seven hundred dolars a month. Not much left over, in a family of seven, for firewood. The bed sheets were always damp. What a pleasure when we moved on base with kerosine heaters. Of course. those were the days when a chief resident made four hundred a month before then took out 75 for living in a one bedroom cottage on the hospital grounds at LA County. Hurray for Black Seal rum and coke and prices at the O Club.
Bart Spitz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom