Best agency for learning Tech diving - criteria given - honest :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it ironic that in this post Bob is being portrayed as a GUE Hater...or at least opponent. In my years of following personalities on SB he has never come across that way to me...but rather as a guy with vast experience and knowledge.

Almost a couple of years ago it was a GUE practioner that recommended Bob for a dive because her schedule was full when I was visiting Seattle. And when Bob could not conduct the dive since he was going to be in the South Pacific he in returned recommended another local diver who could do the dive...a GUE practioner.

What I saw in the Seattle area was not divers flying Training Agency Flags but a local community of really good and knowledgeable divers who all were willing to assist me for my short limited time there.

Thanks Seattle...

So you're saying their necklaced secondary is run off the pony rather than the main tank? Not the way I would do it, but I don't seen that it effects donation of the long hose or makes it not a proper hog loop. (If I was carrying a pony, I would just call it a stage and sling it.)

Wait people do that? Is that what's he's referring to in his previous post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob is not a GUE hater. As he has said, he sent me to take Fundies, and the last Fundies class that ran here in Seattle had a student in it who Bob has been mentoring for a long time.

Bob's objecting to knee-jerk recommendations. Everybody knows that, if you ask ScubaBoard what BC to buy, you'll have a dozen people telling you to get a backplate and wing before anybody even MENTIONS anything more mainstream. Everybody knows that, if you ask what class to take to improve your diving, half the answers you get will be, "Take Fundies!". It's true; I'm guilty of it myself.

When someone has a specific goal, the best way for them to get to that goal is to take a path that leads there. Sometimes we have people come on this board and ask about finding a good cave instructor . . . in sidemount. GUE is not that path. Sometimes people know they want to go CCR from the get-go; GUE is not that path.

The OP in this thread (who is almost certainly long gone -- he certainly hasn't posted here in forever) gave us very little detail about what he wanted to do, or how he wanted to do it. He did say he wanted to do it in Thailand. It seemed very likely, from his post, that he had no prior technical training. I think most people would agree that the most typical direction for going from a backmounted single tank recreational setup to a technical configurations and technical procedures, is to move to backmounted doubles. If you are going to do that, the configuration for a number of agencies differs only in detail. At that point, I will agree with the chorus, that GUE training is highly likely to be of high quality. Despite that, it really is important to work with an instructor you like and who likes working with you. I have one experience with GUE training where I made a bad choice of instructor, and although the person is beloved of many of his students, he did not work for me at all. There was a very extensively discussed Fundies class in Florida a couple of years ago, where the instructors, students, and venue choice led to pretty much a disaster of a class. It can happen; it can happen with any agency's class, if the stars are properly misaligned.

I do think that the recommendation of Gideon as an instructor was a good one. He is universally liked and well regarded. The GUE curriculum, and the way it's divided up, is reasonable, introducing the use of helium early on, and keeping the END low. However, there were significant problems with sending the OP that direction, and nobody seems to have paid much attention to that but me -- and I'm one of the GUE groupies who usually jumps on the bandwagon.

Bob gets irritated listening to the Greek chorus. I'm part of it, and sometimes even I think it's over the top.

Sometimes people know they want to go CCR from the get-go; GUE is not that path

I wrote a pretty straight forward course report that very much goes against all your saying. It's cheaper to go the GUE Rebreather route to gain a very versatile certification.

GUE CCR, It's OFFICIAL

I wrote a pretty straight forward course report that very much goes against all your saying. It's cheaper to go the GUE Rebreather route to gain a very versatile certification.

GUE CCR, It's OFFICIAL

Yeah but your wrong. You only need decompression procedures and advanced nitrox to do Helitrox to 45M for your jj ccr course and skip air diluent and air decompression. If you started with air diluent you don't need them. Then you do the trimix to 60m and lastly your 100m course. You can skip all other all the open circuit courses but deco and advanced nitrox. For GUE you need fundies tech pass tech 1 and tech 2 then you can start your basic rebreather class. GUE is the opposite of versatile since you cannot adapt to many different function or setups you have the gue way or no way.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

So you're talking about 4 or 5 courses that are very specific to RB diving vs 4 courses with GUE and you have all the benefits of O.C. knowledge when you'll need it the most on an RB.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2015 at 10:55 PM ----------

My cave certs also carry over and allow me to do Cave CCR which is a whole other course with other agencies.

My post said someone might know they wanted to go CCR from the beginning . . . GUE does not offer it for their beginning technical classes. I have a friend here in Puget Sound who transitioned out of OW into a rebreather -- he knew what he wanted to do (the deep wrecks in the Sound and Straits) and he knew how he wanted to do it, which was on a rebreather. I won't argue whether that's a good course or not, but if it's the path you want to take, GUE is not the way to get there.

Wait people do that? Is that what's he's referring to in his previous post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, people (as far as I have seen) do not do that with a hog loop. Some do use the pony as the secondary that the OOG diver will take. On ccr that is the only choice.

What Edward is talking about is people reading the Internet, finding arguments like this about hog looping and then diving it without being shown how it really works, getting hoses tangled and generally doing a half arsed job..

Cue host of Internet divers saying it is so simple and obvious they learnt it on the web.

No, people (as far as I have seen) do not do that with a hog loop. Some do use the pony as the secondary that the OOG diver will take. On ccr that is the only choice.

What Edward is talking about is people reading the Internet, finding arguments like this about hog looping and then diving it without being shown how it really works, getting hoses tangled and generally going a half arsed job..

Cue host of Internet divers saying it is so simple and obvious they learnt it on the web.
Thank you.

The problem with this medium is interpretation of what's written. And I'm guilty of getting it wrong.

Hope the OP finds what they're after. Me I'm just going to Thailand in 2 weeks time to have some fun diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom