best airline between curacao and bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tselios

Registered
Reaction score
looking for best /most reliable airline flights between curacao and bonaire,
thank-you for any input.
Our trip is planned in early December this year.
Insel air looks to be reliable.Hurricaines not withstanding.
Divi you e-mail them your reservation request?
DAE ? any input?
Thank-you again.

DAE is thought to be in financial trouble at all times. Their planes look nice--we saw some last week on both Curacao and Bonaire. We did AA to CUR and Divi Divi Air to BON on Sep 9th--16th. The reservation process with Divi was easy by email--then pay on arrival for checkin. Divi's planes are small and my wife described the ride as scary. We live in south Florida so the first choice is Insel n/s out of Miami. The AA combo was about $250. cheaper. In recent weeks Insel has had a lower nonstop than what I paid. Other possibles, EasyAir, small planes--and Tiara Air, big twin turbine planes but no direct Bonaire service from Curacao.

Divi changed our return and let me know by email. The later flight still gave us plenty of time to make AA out of Cur. On Friday evenings, Insel operates a jet from Curacao to Bonaire. Divi's small plane went earlier by 2 and 3/4 hours.

They all cancel flights at times. Divi worked ok for us. Probably wouldn't use them again though as the planes are old and "scary" according to the boss. Divi does have a smooth reservations system by email and updating flight info by email as well. We had a computer this time--but not always.
If you are traveling down on a Friday, I like the idea of Insel's jet Cur-Bon, it removes any baggage hassels. I would have to check, but I think the jet returns to Cur on Saturday.

Have used both Insel and DAE, both had good service...if I had to choose it would be DAE.

thank-you for the info.
I had heard that DAE was on the edge?
Looks like you are allowed just one carry on, and do they weigh it?

Insel weighed our carry on and were very strict about the 10kg, DAE did not, but I believe it may have been who checked us in, the lady was extremely nice, and even on our checked bags, the overage was $40, but she only took a twenty.

Insel was much better deal on the checked bags.

@jimw, we flew from BHM to MIA on Delta in July and then took the Insel direct flight to Bonaire, saved a ton compared to the Delta flight and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In January we are booked on Delta direct from ATL, but the tickets were free (miles) so it was hard to pass up.

I read online in a DAE wiki that Curacao took over the airline in May,2011. So, I suppose they are as stable as the gov't! I maybe would try them if needed. I think the preferred would still be Insel as we live in south FL and could go nonstop from Miami. We used American to Curacao because AA was cheaper at the time. The Insel flight was cheaper a couple of weeks ago though.:crafty:

thank-you again for the input,
it looks like insel air has more choices and is more flexible.

We have only used the Divi Divi.
Had no issues with them - but take note that they do not fly at night.

using Insel from Curacao to Bonaire return on feb 29- Mar12. will see how it goes. chose them because atleast you can book ticket online--not problem free but it did finally work.

With Inselair you have online check-in as well, try to use that because they tend to have long lines at chech-in. DAE has suspended all flights to BON and Aruba for the coming 30 days due to restructuring (the government has NOT taken over, only guaranteed wages for two months and those two months have passed...) so be glad you did not choose them.
Divi Divi is by far the most flexible, with a 30 minute before departure check-in and very reliable schedule. Except when it rains, they cannot fly then and you'll have to wait till it ends.
EazyAir uses the same type of planes as Divi Divi so also no flying when wet and no flying after dark.

Both Insel and DAE are famous and notorious for their delays and cancelling of flights. DAE cancelled my flight three times in one month, Insel gave me a six hour delay twice (flight time is 15 minutes, so a 6 hour delay is kinda frustrating). Insel also denied two of my colleagues boarding because they were 1 minute late at the gate (plane was still there, doors were open and passengers were still climbing the stairs to the plane), then cancelled the next flight, they then had to wait 4 hours...

Back
Top Bottom