• Aqualung Titan LX

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Atomic B2

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Atomic Z1

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MI2diver

Reaction score
OK, advice needed (as usual) on reg purchase. Most are probably tired of answering these questions but here goes...

I am researching my first regulator purchase and plan on doing mostly warm water diving. However, I live in Michigan and want the option of diving the Great Lakes at some point with whatever regulator I do decide upon.

I am overwhelmed by all the different choices.

Here's what I am considering:
1) Atomic B2 or Z1
2) SP mk16/S550 or SP mk25/S600
3) Aqualung Legend LX or Titan LX
4) Mares Abyss or Proton/Proton Ice
5) Apeks ATX200 or ATX50

Quite a lot, I know, hence the overwhelmed feeling. Any help in narrowing these choices down would be greatly appreciated. Certainly I would like to try some of these at my LDS but don't want to go in asking to try out 80 regs. I do have local shops that are authorized dealers of all of the above so service shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure all of the above would serve my needs but I want to make the most informed decision possible.

Thanks to all.

I got the same problem as you MI2diver so can't really help you :confused: .
I live in The Netherlands the NorthSea isn't really warm. In holidays I probably will go often to tropic locations like egypt, the maladives or costa rica so my regulator should functionate perfectly in cold and warm water.

I was considering the Mares Proton Ice or Aqualung Legend LX(Supreme) myself.

Thanks in advace

All of the regs you listed are very good. If you are wanting a reg for both warm and cold water, the Apeks and Aqualung would serve you well. I own both ATX 200 and TX100. I'm not a scuba pro fan so I won't comment on them. Atomic makes a great reg, the B2 and Z1 would not be my choice for cold water, I'd go for the M1. Good luck

I'm hoping you have already searched the board and read about twelve hours of responses which should have made you eithor completely confused or the local expert.

But the short version is sealed, balanced first stage, and heat exchanger on second. 4 low pressure ports.

My personal favorites are the Tx/ATX 100/200 Apexs and the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme.

But If you made the search you will see there alot of my "personal favorites" for each of your choices and a few you missed.

good luck with your quest!

Hallmac

I can't say it's been a full twelve hours, but easily 8-10 reading the postings on regulator recommendations. It seems Apeks has a very strong following.

Hallmac once bubbled...
I'm hoping you have already searched the board and read about twelve hours of responses which should have made you eithor completely confused or the local expert.

But the short version is sealed, balanced first stage, and heat exchanger on second. 4 low pressure ports.

My personal favorites are the Tx/ATX 100/200 Apexs and the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme.

But If you made the search you will see there alot of my "personal favorites" for each of your choices and a few you missed.

good luck with your quest!

Hallmac

Very good regulator with all you'll ever need. Very well built and a snap to service. In fact if you are a DIY guy check out SeaJay's web site and download the service manual in PDF.

Hallmac

Hallmac,

since you are a fan of the Apeks ATX200 I was hoping you could shed some light on the difference between that and the ATX50 - I am not sure if the differences are worth the price differential. Any thoughts? And between your two favorites listed, do you have a clear favorite?

Thanks.

Internally they have the same basic design with minor machining differences. The 200 is my preference due to hose routing but if cost was a factor I would not hesitate to go with the 50.

As to my favorite I just bought two more Aqualung Legend LX Supremes. They have a very nice hose routing, are covered in a black coating and cost a couple buck less than Apex. But truthfully I think is depends on my mood at the time of order more than the difference between the two. The shop I teach for carries both and I have no problems getting anything for either. The Apex has a better following but to me the legend has a smoother breathing cycle and the controls are easier to handle with gloves. When servicing the two units (Apex vs Aqualung) the Apex is my favorite to work on.

I could flip a coin and walk out with either and be happy!

Hallmac

Hallmac once bubbled...

I could flip a coin and walk out with either and be happy!

Hallmac [/B]

Thanks for the further information. I might finally be narrowing this whole process down. Then again...maybe not. I think that price and service may be my deciding factor based on your advice. I think my LDS is running a special on the future maintenance of Aqualung but if the Apeks works out to be a better deal I may go with it. Also I would really like to try them both, at least in a pool. So we'll see...There's no rush, to be sure, but I'm tired of being neurotic about it.

MI2diver once bubbled...

.... but I'm tired of being neurotic about it.

I'm right where you are, MI2Diver. I just moved south from Michigan several months ago, and now that I'm around warm water more often, it's time to buy the gear. I was all set to grab a SP Mk25/S600 until i found this board, and now Apeks & Scubapro are pulling me in all different directions & feel as if my head is about to explode. Granted, that probably just means that I wouldn't go wrong with either & I'm just working myself into a tizzy for no good reason!! :D

good luck-
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom