Best all you can eat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pepe's is a must!

You work for Motorola? I was with Motorola/Freescale for 22 years.

No, the county spent about 26 million for a new PS radio system. I was part of the group for acceptance testing in Schaumburg, so we were the clients and the Batwings were wine-ing and dining us.

I really was shocked to see people in an Illinois factory ACTUALLY making radios....

Just nothing like a Motorola on the hip, I tell ya!

passed on and went to the old standard Pepe's Grill—It was GREAT with fresh King Crab on the menu and the best service you will ever find. First time in many years for me but I can't tell you how much I love Pepe's Grill. Cost…we'll like lots of things, you do get what you pay for. Not every night for me but I saw a lot of very happy people there.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

My review of Pepe from August of last year. Still a little miffed:

Pepe's Grill has been on my radar for years, but I had never eaten there. I went there this month and I found Pepes' stuck me when it charged me in USD at a rate of 14.50 pesos to the dollar.

I took a crap load of people out to dinner and the bill was $3,356 pesos at Pepe's on 1 August. Now if they had run that in pesos, my Southwest RR Visa would have converted in the neighborhood of 15.99 on that date with no bank fees. Bill should have then cost me 209.88 US give or take.
Not bad.

INSTEAD, Pepe's Grill chose to convert to dollars at 14.5 and then charge in dollar. 3356/14.50 is 231.45. Which is what they charged. The difference is about $21.56 US which means they manipulated the currency to cost me MORE than 10% more than I should have had to pay. 10 PERCENT?!?!?

I would also say, the MOJO SERRANO dorado with rice pilaf and lime sauteed spinach wasn't anything to write home about. No spice and the fish didn't seem that fresh. I wanted snapper as they had a snapper hanging on the sign, but no snapper. My buddy's steak was really pretty good though. The burgers were ok according to reports. Service was really pretty good except for not bringing my Margs sin sal.

Still thanks for taking the extra 10% , Pepe.

I had never made to Pepe's before and it might be awhile until I go back. Mainly went because some of our contingent wanted AC. It is a beautiful restaurant. If you go, get steak and make sure they run the card in PESOS. (Like every other popular restaurant in Cozumel.) I think by VISA rules I might be able to challenge it, but I did signed the slip in dollars. They did post the 14.50 exchange rate on the bill, but I NEVER expected them to run the card in dollars, so I didn't care about the exchange. I always use pesos in Coz.

I consider all taquerias in Mexico to be "all you can eat" since they are certainly cheap enough. :)

I will agree with others, breakfast buffets at Casa Mexicana and Playa Azul are both very good.

I too say the best all-u-can-eat buffet is breakfast at the Casa Mexicana... Been stuffing my face there before AM dives for 14 years now. That buffet may as well be a mile long and if you want eggs, omlets, waffles, custom selections they'll make it to oder right there on the griddle. Furthermore, anything on the buffet and the cook's side station you'd like to have turned into a quesadilla, mini burritos, whatever and taken away can be done. I don't think I've ever eaten a lunch in coz thanks to that buffet. I usually have no room for SI treats provided by dive ops 2 hours later as I am still stuffed. I must admit, I take leftovers from SI intervals and feed the "Cozumel Piranhas" that hang out around the boat. I know, I know, I shouldn't do that but I do. No left-overs from the Casa Mexicana's are ever saved over for the next day as the entire staff gets to eat them for lunch and take all leftovers home (which is a great thing).

Anyway, back to buffets, I've read a bit about a place I've never been and from reports I've read it is a GREAT place to visit... Just walk in, grab one of the 2-3 tables (as 99% of business is takeout) and have BBQ with all the sidesthat just keep coming and coming and the bill at the end is supposedly so small you wonder how they stay in business... I think we'll grab a cab to this place this trip... New experience. Has anyone else been there? It's El Billy Asados Al Carbon.

Last edited:
Yep. El Billy's is quite tasty. And quite economical. We ordered what we thought would be a normal amount for lunch for three. About needed a wheelbarrow to walk back to the house with it. And could reuse the wheelbarrow to haul us out to the pool after we'd feasted.
The table was still full of food.

My Fogo dinner experiences were nothing to write home about. A few of the meats were tasty, but most of it nothing to write home about. And the waiters seemed to decide at some point that we'd eaten all we could, though most of us hadn't. I'll pass on dinner there, but their breakfast - food and service - has been excellent.
The Brazilian breakfast plate has a big, juicy assortment of meats and sausages beside eggs and beans. Now my mouth is watering....

All these breakfast choices, and only a few mornings to go and try them out. When do you lot have time to eat at all these places and decide what's good? Since we stayed El Cantil,we started our last day there having a less then stellar breakfast. Dinner was ok, but not like I remember it back in '08. Could have been the utterly lousy Occidental food we had endured until we escaped into town to eat back then.
Breakfast usually consists of something quick prepared in the condo while collecting wetsuits, computers, masks, snacks, cash keys X3 into bags while running to the dock. :sprint:

Since this thread has wandered off the all you can eat to another good resturant thread here's a gem that I recently found that serves a reletively large breakfast for about $65 MXN. Silvia's kitchen on the corner of Ave 5 and calle 21 (Corpus Chrisi, a few blocks from El Cantil). It was previously the garage of the hotel Villa Deja Blue. I wandered a couple blocks over from where I was staying last week on a non dive day and had a great breakfast. Coffe, juice, a fruit bowl, toast and breakfast to order for $65MXN. The most expensive breakfast I saw was an enchilada breakfast, which I ordered and it was excelent, for $80MXN, all in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom