Best alternate air configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is pretty well established that a paniced diver will go for the first main regulator that he/she can find.

While the Air 2 seems to fit this model, it is really a kluge. Ths hose is way too short, boyancy control is a problem.

A pony bottle gives redundancy, but is a pain for the traveling diver. You just can't rent one. I see them now and then, but not that much.

The stantdard hose config will work, but will probably work better if the 40 inch hose is on the main with a swivel and the octo is bungeed under the chin with the 28 inch hose. I am thinking about going to this config with the swivel, using standard hoses now. It looks the hoses are mmore out of the way.

Long hose and bungeed octo is fine, but a bit harder to manage due to the legnth of the hose. If your buddy is trained with this, it is the safest alternative. Halcyon sells the hose set for $80, which is small potatoes.

talking to an LDS last weekend on the subject of swivels, they mentioned they had tried it but found with some brands of swivel, they could not remember which one, there was some restriction in the breathing, so worth looking at the design before changing

As for the idea of swivels...

Every swivel that I have seen would leak...especially when the swivel was rotated.

I think you can achieve comfortable hose routing without the need for a swivel.

Back
Top Bottom