BEST BC TO Put On when attached to the Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is where the BP/W with long hose shines. You slide your left arm in then use the long hose that's attached to the right shoulder d-ring to pull the strap out and then slip your right arm in. You don't even have to find the strap just the hose. It's really a well thought out system, which is why it's recommended so often.

If you have a BC with adjustable shoulder straps loosen one or both shoulder straps all the way and then tighten them to the appropriate tightness when the BC is on and the waist belt/buckle is fastened at the right height. This gives you more play in the shoulder straps to get your arms in the straps.

From shore or on an uncrowded boat, I reach over the rig from the back, grab the tank through the arm holes and lift it over head, setting it down on my shoulders. Probably sounds more difficult than it actually is.

Seems like there ought to be a new BCD that I can buy that I can reach the other shoulder strap through .My old one is 10 years old.

If you have a BC with adjustable shoulder straps loosen one or both shoulder straps all the way and then tighten them to the appropriate tightness when the BC is on and the waist belt/buckle is fastened at the right height. This gives you more play in the shoulder straps to get your arms in the straps.
That sounds like a BCD that I need to buy. What is the name of your BCD.

From shore or on an uncrowded boat, I reach over the rig from the back, grab the tank through the arm holes and lift it over head, setting it down on my shoulders. Probably sounds more difficult than it actually is.
LOL For most folks it sounds easier than it actually is! Takes a lot of upper body strength.

I volunteer in an aquarium, and we are not even allowed to put our tanks on that way...too many ways to have an injury, and completely unnecessary.

Many thanks I'll look into that BC.What about Scubapro Equalizer?Does it do the same thing as the Cressi Travelight?
Yes, the Equalizer has quick-release buckles on the shoulder. It's actually difficult to find a recreational BC that does not! What kind of BC do you have now?

Seems like there ought to be a new BCD that I can buy that I can reach the other shoulder strap through .My old one is 10 years old.

BC technology has not changed much (if at all) in the past 10 years, no matter what the dive manufacturers say. What is the make and model of it? What is it doing to make donning it difficult?

I am wondering if the problem is not with your BC but with your wetsuit. If the suit is too restrictive then you will have trouble donning and doffing your BC.

There is another tidbit to the technique part ...

On a boat, I'm guessing the BC/Tank is on a bench. When you decide to get in, skootch down and get lower, get those arms in (to the elbows) and then 'straighten up' into the BC.

_R

That sounds like a BCD that I need to buy. What is the name of your BCD.

I would think that many BC's out there now have adjustable shoulder straps and clips as well. I dive a Scubapro Litehawk. It's lightweight and is an excellent travel BC. You can either unclip one side like has been mentioned if you are having trouble or just loosen the straps and after you have it on you tighten the straps with a simple pull. I have issues with one of my shoulders from time to time and I have no problems at all with putting on my Litehawk. Pretty much all of the new Scubapro BC's will work the same way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom