Best BCD. price does not matter!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best BC, I mean the very best BC out there is the one that fits and you’re the most comfortable in. You could spend $10,000 on the best rated BC in the world but if it doesn’t work for you is it the best? Or you could spend $5.00 on one that fits right, is comfortable and works well for you. Forget price and look for comfort for you. Not what I or others think is comfortable but what is comfortable for you.

Gary D.

www.deepseasupply.com

You can call the owner, discuss your diving plans and gear with him, and he'll recommend a certain backplate/wing setup. He won't recommend anything you don't need (eg he won't try to line his own pockets).

DeepSeaSupply, and Tobin (owner) both rock. :D

Oh boy did you just open a can of worms, lol. I think Zeagle makes some excellent products and their review are always very high. I'm thinking about getting a Tech myself. It can handle 1 or 2 tanks, 65 pound lift bladder, has a ripcord weight system and looks good. Now all I need is a man who can handle 1 or 2 tanks, lift 150 pounds and looks good...

Thanks for all the replies. So to start out in knowing different BCDs...

jacket type.
back inflate jacket types
back plate with wings.
weight integrated ones.
trim pockets in the back if it is a jacket style
backplate and wings.
any others out there???

" I find the wings to be well streamlined and easier to dive with underwater."

I like NOT feeling like a bouy under water.

Thanks for all the replies. So to start out in knowing different BCDs...

jacket type.
back inflate jacket types
back plate with wings.
weight integrated ones.
trim pockets in the back if it is a jacket style
backplate and wings.
any others out there???

" I find the wings to be well streamlined and easier to dive with underwater."

I like NOT feeling like a bouy under water.

I think you pretty much nailed them all. Diving with a BP/W is interesting. It takes some getting used to. I'd say if you don't want to feel like a buoy, don't go with a jacket style. When I dove with a jacket style BC for my check out dives I felt like I was being squeezed...you get a little more freedom of movement with a BP/W or with a back inflate. Again...focus on fit and comfort...not what we say here. Best of luck!

Price doesn't matter?

In that case, the US Submarines Phoenix 1000.

Costs about $80Million, but can comfortably accompany you as deep as 1000 feet

U.S. Submarines

:p

The best sub I ever seen. Who needs a nuclear reactor when you have windows!!!!!!

What Gary said.

The best BC is one that fits and is comfortable in the water. I would add that a BC which has trim pockets and allows you to move some weight up onto your back can be a big advantage in being able to swim in a horizontal position (which is much more efficient).

I like a BP/W because of its infinitely adjustable fit and its simplicity and modular nature, but that's just me. My husband really likes his back-inflate SeaQuest balance . . . But he dives his BP/W :)

Assemble a list of the 20 top BCDs....... then use a dart board and a blind-fold. You probably can't go too wrong.

Better yet, buy one of each, hang them up on a wall, then try the dart/blind fold bit. Then go out and get a nice simple backplate/wing. :D

Seriously, if you go the the BC forum and search for threads that discuss the merits of the various types of BCs, you will have enough reading to keep you company for years. Ultimately you will have to try different styles of BCs before you know what will work best for you.

For Monterey Bay 48-52F, I find a weighted back inflate the best. I have both a jacket BC (not back inflate - not customizable - no room for upgrade/optimization) and a backplate set-up (back inflate - highly customizable).

Since money is not a variable, one that is customizable for comfort, weight, trim, changing conditions, different tanks, etc. may be best. About $500-$700+ depending on configuration.

Dive Rite Express has information and videos on the Transpac and TransPlate. I have a TransPlate. If interested click on my name for my Rig.

Zeagle also is customizable and high quality.

Oxycheq has some of the best for back inflate wings for comfort and a better diving experience.

Good Luck and I hope you get the best system for your needs within your budget. If you decide to go the backplate/wing configuration the SCUBAToys forum has many users as well as Zeagle users and customizable BC configurations. It may be better to post your questions there.

Here are some magazine reviews
Buoyancy Compensators - Scuba Diving Magazine

Back
Top Bottom