Best buddy check mnemonic device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwthediver, I don't think what Laurin wrote was that offensive. Those of us who DO primarily dive with people whose gear is identical DO need to remember to check some things with instabuddies that we don't normally do (like integrated weight systems). And it DOES make buddy checking simpler if everybody's gear is the same -- a very quick once-over will spot anything that's awry.

I don't think he was sneering.

While I dive solo a lot and use the head to toe method (actually toe to head), the one that works best for me is

"Because we really aren't fish"

First saw it here in another thread, and it makes sure I'm in the right frame of mind to do a thorough check.

Guy

dwthediver, I don't think what Laurin wrote was that offensive. Those of us who DO primarily dive with people whose gear is identical DO need to remember to check some things with instabuddies that we don't normally do (like integrated weight systems). And it DOES make buddy checking simpler if everybody's gear is the same -- a very quick once-over will spot anything that's awry.

I don't think he was sneering.

Lynne,
You are a very knowledgable diver, and I usually enjoy your posts, BUT not everyone needs to dive with a bp/w setup, or in heavy jet fins, so my point to all DIR divers in this thread was lighten up and let the jacket bcd divers have fun with what they learned in their o/w class. I realize this is the internet, but I read a derisive tone in that post and reacted.

WeBARF

The trouble with all the WeBarf and fun big women is remembering what it was that it stood for.

I do a toe-to head flow. Just go through everything you see from bottom to top and you cover everything.

Start low:
All buckles done up, weights (Release?), fins present in hand or on feet, SPG/console clipped on? Knife?

Chest area:
If female, oogle :wink: ; check all clips, necklaced secondary or octo - check operation (3 breaths, watch SPG). Check Inflator operation (inflate and deflate). While asking for demonstration of necklaced secondary / octopus release, check hands for instruments present and gloves worn.

Head:
Screwed on right? :wink: Mask present? check primary regulator (3 breaths, watch SPG)
Look into eyes and ask "Ready?"

Site specific briefing, buddy assignment etc. was before the buddy check, same as discussing the plan. Formation is decided in the water before submerging.

No weird acronyms to remember, and there is a logical sequence to it.

Just my €0,016.

Gerbs

Be
With
A
Responsible
Family

only works with ... the family :wink:

Bryan Wants Raunchy .... I'll let you fit in the AF. I alternate between a choice of two.

I suppose you could replace "Bryan" with "buddy" if your instructor isn't named Bryan.

G
Une
Envie

Envie
De
Grands
Espaces

my 0.02euros as well, sorry it's French, and not really fun, but only one so far. Need to come with a cooler one and in English.

edit: to be honest, most of the time, i realize people really don't go through the exact same check list, but cover everything anyway. It helps when you dive with the same people, as you do the quick check without thinking about the TLA/phrases and so one. But, anyway, it is kind of fun to have this little pre-dive checks with a fun sentence.

When gearing up I use head-to-toe for myself, and then my wife and I use the BWRAF on each other.

But I am just as forgetful at home when packing for a dive, and I use a system that I learned here on SB.

SWIMMY things: Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Swimsuit.
SNUGGY things; Booties, Gloves, Wetsuit, Hood.
SCUBA things: Tank, BCD, Regulator, Computer, Weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom