Best Caribbean Dive Spot In August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gnosek20001

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My boyfriend and I are looking for a great spot to dive in august. We live in Minnesota, USA and because of limited time/funds are looking for a spot in the Caribbean or Central America. We are concerned about how the rainy season may impact diving and don't want to be stuck in the hotel all week. Also, looking for a spot that has some interesting top-side distractions (hiking, ruins, good beaches, zip lines etc). Thanks for your help in advance!

My boyfriend and I are looking for a great spot to dive in august. We live in Minnesota, USA and because of limited time/funds are looking for a spot in the Caribbean or Central America. We are concerned about how the rainy season may impact diving and don't want to be stuck in the hotel all week. Also, looking for a spot that has some interesting top-side distractions (hiking, ruins, good beaches, zip lines etc). Thanks for your help in advance!

sounds like you want to go to either Roatan or Cozumel/Playa del Carmen, Mexico or Belize. All of those have the topside activities you are looking for. Check out deals on Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations and Bay Adventures :: Dive Adventures and Island Vacations :: 888.599.3483 and Tour catalog: "Honduras and a Little Bit of Belize". Since it is the off season there are lots of deals out there.

Technically, that is the heart of hurricane season - but that just means that it MIGHT be bad weather. There are no guarantees either way. You might have sunny skies every day with only occasional showers, or you might have constant rain all week. There is no way to predict - that is why it is the cheapest time of year though so there are plenty of deals. The only thing guaranteed in August is that it will be HOT HOT HOT and HUMID and most likely buggy.

I am not saying you shouldn't go, I am just saying to take it into consideration and go with the flow.

robin:D

A lot of choices to potentially narrow down.

August is smack in the middle of hurricane season, but that is a slightly misleading statement. Usually the active part of hurricane season is the later part - September and October. Doesn't mean you won't get a storm, but you are not going into peak season.

But where ever you go it will be pretty hot. The benefit of the windward islands is because you get the trade breezes it doesn't feel so hot. But (at the risk of grossly generalising) the windwards don't contain too many diving hotspots.

Good luck.

One last suggestion - August is definitively "out of season", so make sure you hunt around for good offseason deals. And enjoy the lack of crowds.

I'm in the same boat as yourself (From MN and looking for a place to go). I've been looking at: Caymans, Belize, Turks, Curacao.....

I have no idea where to go.:shakehead:

I've been to: Dominican Republic, Roatan, Cozumel, Jamaica, Playa del Carmen, & Cancun. If any of these sound interesting, just PM me and I'll fill you in.

P.S.: Do you do any cold water diving around home?

I don't have the experience of the others but Cozumel is great in August. Check out my vid below. The diving side (west) is short on beaches but the wild side (east coast) has some nice beaches but can be very rough.

You can also snorkel with whale sharks in August off Holbox, a small island on the north tip of the Yucatan. Some of our group did a an overnight trip while we were there.

Even thought it is a hurricane season, it doesn't mean it rains all the time. The most active time is usually end of September and October. The weather in August is nice on the south coast of Dominican Republic, some times too dry. If you don't want to pay for all inclusive resort you can stay at independent hotels, we have few around here. The one closest to us Hotel Bayahibe charges 45 -50 USD per night for couple breakfast included. Nice clean hotel, some rooms have ocean view. If you need more info send me a PM

What do you propose for diving in November or January/February?
Thanks a lot.

Same answer:

The ABC islands would be the best choice as they are generally outside (below) of hurricane alley...

Picture8-8-1.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom