Best city or community to retire and dive? And why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
What city, community or area would you recommend for a couple ( late fourties) that are avid divers and instructors to retire in? And why?

Not really a suggestion, but I've met some couples that have done that in Grand Cayman. One such, though not divers, are Canadian, and had to relinquish 100% of everything Canadian except their passports.

No matter where you go - I'd suggest taking over an existing business - that a local has setup and is for sale - that is convenient for you. Makes immigration much easier. The usual "route" is motel/hotel/resort.

Then if you get hit by a hurricane & lose everything, well, that's life in the tropics. A guy I know that was doing IT work & living in BVI finally came back to Canada after two hurricanes & countless storms.

Robert Palmer famously "left" the Bahamas because it was at the time (mid-90's) according to him being overrun by gangs & drugs.

Ask Quero - she went the opposite way to Thailand. Another Canadian from Montreal is planning on leaving everything behind and setting up shop in that area too. Cheap cost of living, excellent diving.

If you were American, I'd suggest either somewhere in Hawaii or Puerto Rico. As a Canadian - scratch anything US-based - unless you immigrate as an investor-business.

Interesting thread for sure, looking forward to comments.

I would think that because this is in the Florida Conch divers forum that the OP is thinking Florida as the destination. I may be wrong, however.....

As far as Florida, you will get many many varied responses. Florida has a lot of offer diving wise from the springs, keys, shark tooth diving and of course, the east coast. I am partial to the Ft. Lauderdale area as it is a great starting point to all the other diving. Lots of excellent diving in Broward and Palm Beach counties, hour or so to the keys, few hours to cave country...

Yes, considering Florida for the climate and diving.

Very interesting. As a 27 year old I think full retirement is at 67 for people my age now...I'm following along to hear what other wiser divers think...

I think the major question is whether or not you have a boat and what kind of diving do you want to do---and then the final question---what kind of funds do you have for living accomodations? I would definitely say south east florida---anywhere from boyton beach down the keys.. provide some more info on what your expectations/desires are and then it can be narrowed down to a few cities..

We retired to the Keys. It was great move for us but not for all. I read somewhere that the avg stay for most in the Keys is 5 years. if you have a boat and love to fish/dive this is for you. Work is tight unless you are in the tourist biz. Miami is about and hour plus away for big box stores and medical/dental(matters your plan).

Crime is negligble and the weather is great. That being said, the summer heat and skeeters could get old fast.
The work ethic out here sometimes leaves much to be desired!!

What city, community or area would you recommend for a couple ( late fourties) that are avid divers and instructors to retire in? And why?

sell house and buy a very big sail boat with compresser.

sail the world untill you find the bit that suits you.

sell boat and buy house.

get one with a pool ,nice neighbours near the sea and a good airport.

i'll crew and i dont mind cleaning the pool.

Please explain, <decompression>, how you plan to retire in the USA when you're a Canadian?
Last I heard/read, you could not.

Without a doubt, High springs/Gainsville Florida. If your stricktly a salty Id say Pompano.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom