Best city or community to retire and dive? And why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a Canadian you can live/work abroad for a certain period of time and return once a year briefly. We like the close proximity to a major center for medical and flight access.
A moderate home is fine ($300000?) but safety is an issue as we don't own any guns (lol).
we may find some part time employment, either scuba related or professional.
close access to diving, shore and boat to reefs and wrecks. Good so far?

Yes, first & second year are easy(ier) to get - good luck getting a third. Most of my IT friends never got it.

However - you've said "retire" - as in, living the rest of your years. More than two.
You haven't answered the "how".

I don't see how you can accomplish that, unless you move in as an immigrant-investor. Some states with high poverty, it's 500k USD; for Florida it would be 1M$ USD. You have to own the business, operate with your family, and create a total of 5 full-time "jobs".

Successful people from Montreal that I know/met, started restaurants. Others, like Celine Dion and other Canadian celebs, create an incorporation "fan club" that take care of their website, facebook, email.

IOW, for the "rich". I forget which "law" Obama voted in - but I read up on it last year. An impoverished state, the governor can "reduce to half a mil" to attract businesses; not just from Canada, from around the world.

Far easier for you to live in any Caribbean "country" that USA.

As a Canadian you can live/work abroad for a certain period of time and return once a year briefly. We like the close proximity to a major center for medical and flight access.
A moderate home is fine ($300000?) but safety is an issue as we don't own any guns (lol).
we may find some part time employment, either scuba related or professional.
close access to diving, shore and boat to reefs and wrecks. Good so far?

Greetings. I just found this thread and boy is it timely. I'm 65, retired, widowed and have no attachments. I've been looking and thinking about relocating to southeast Florida for about a year now. I've been diving to Key Largo a few times and Key West. Would rather live on the mainland say Ft Lauderdale/Boca area. I'll be in Key Largo in September for a dive trip but will have plenty of time before and after to do a little driving around. I think I will come down then for a month or so to seriously look around sometime after that. I've been looking at real estate on the web but that really doesn't give you a feel for the areas. As I know from where I live, some areas are better than others to live. Not looking for ocean property or view so I imagine prices would not be as bad the farther from the ocean you get. Of course I don't want to get too far. Love northeast wreck diving year round but 35 degree water and 3 ft vis is getting a little old. I guess my questions are what areas should be avoided in the overall picture. I know I've given a broad area but it doesn't look too big on google map (lol).

Thanks for listening.
Dave

Greetings. I just found this thread and boy is it timely. I'm 65, retired, widowed and have no attachments. I've been looking and thinking about relocating to southeast Florida for about a year now. I've been diving to Key Largo a few times and Key West. Would rather live on the mainland say Ft Lauderdale/Boca area. I'll be in Key Largo in September for a dive trip but will have plenty of time before and after to do a little driving around. I think I will come down then for a month or so to seriously look around sometime after that. I've been looking at real estate on the web but that really doesn't give you a feel for the areas. As I know from where I live, some areas are better than others to live. Not looking for ocean property or view so I imagine prices would not be as bad the farther from the ocean you get. Of course I don't want to get too far. Love northeast wreck diving year round but 35 degree water and 3 ft vis is getting a little old. I guess my questions are what areas should be avoided in the overall picture. I know I've given a broad area but it doesn't look too big on google map (lol).

Thanks for listening.
Dave

Between Ft L and Boca there are tons of properties for sale, undervalued because of the depressed housing market. The diving is great, and even a little better, IMHO, slightly to the north in Boynton to Jupiter area. You can get great housing prices in Boynton. Yes, the further from the ocean (generally) the better the deal. Also, it seems like the houses get bigger and bigger as you move further away. Far away from the ocean is 10 miles away from it, not really very far. To get an idea where YOU would not want to live, you should probably drive around or confide in a real estate agent what wouldn't work for you. Good luck! I moved to S FL in 1999 and haven't looked back!

---------- Post added ----------

What city, community or area would you recommend for a couple ( late fourties) that are avid divers and instructors to retire in? And why?

My experience is pretty limited, but anywhere from Ft. Lauderdale on the south end to Jupiter on the north end might work. I am not an instructor, but only a lowly regular diver, so I am not sure what your considerations are. There are many shops and dive boats to get affiliated with all along the coast, if you hope to instruct. I live in and love Lake Worth, Florida. Why? Cuz it is funky, cute, diverse, has weird politics and is close to all the best diving. I have lived in Boca Raton, Palm beach, and West Palm, too. Spend some time checking out the various communities and see what you like. Check out Lake Worth, but only if you are a little nutty. :wink: Good luck!

Between Ft L and Boca there are tons of properties for sale, undervalued because of the depressed housing market. The diving is great, and even a little better, IMHO, slightly to the north in Boynton to Jupiter area. You can get great housing prices in Boynton. Yes, the further from the ocean (generally) the better the deal. Also, it seems like the houses get bigger and bigger as you move further away. Far away from the ocean is 10 miles away from it, not really very far. To get an idea where YOU would not want to live, you should probably drive around or confide in a real estate agent what wouldn't work for you. Good luck! I moved to S FL in 1999 and haven't looked back!

---------- Post added ----------

My experience is pretty limited, but anywhere from Ft. Lauderdale on the south end to Jupiter on the north end might work. I am not an instructor, but only a lowly regular diver, so I am not sure what your considerations are. There are many shops and dive boats to get affiliated with all along the coast, if you hope to instruct. I live in and love Lake Worth, Florida. Why? Cuz it is funky, cute, diverse, has weird politics and is close to all the best diving. I have lived in Boca Raton, Palm beach, and West Palm, too. Spend some time checking out the various communities and see what you like. Check out Lake Worth, but only if you are a little nutty. :wink: Good luck!

Lake Worth sounds interesting, off to the google machine I go, thanks!

We're a few years away from retirement but picked up a modest townhouse on the intercoastal in Hypoluxo for a great price. We're 3 miles from the Boynton Beach Marina, 17 miles from BHB, 28 miles from Jupiter, 36 miles from Ft Lauderdale and within striking distance of Key Largo at 124 miles. I'm very happy with where we landed.

Good diving, Craig

Any areas where a TS or hurricane is less of a concern?

Yes, first & second year are easy(ier) to get - good luck getting a third. Most of my IT friends never got it.

However - you've said "retire" - as in, living the rest of your years. More than two.
You haven't answered the "how".

I don't see how you can accomplish that, unless you move in as an immigrant-investor. Some states with high poverty, it's 500k USD; for Florida it would be 1M$ USD. You have to own the business, operate with your family, and create a total of 5 full-time "jobs".

Successful people from Montreal that I know/met, started restaurants. Others, like Celine Dion and other Canadian celebs, create an incorporation "fan club" that take care of their website, facebook, email.

IOW, for the "rich". I forget which "law" Obama voted in - but I read up on it last year. An impoverished state, the governor can "reduce to half a mil" to attract businesses; not just from Canada, from around the world.

Far easier for you to live in any Caribbean "country" that USA.
We have lots of "snowbirds" that own house trailers and homes in Mesa, Az. They live here for 6-9 months and go north when it gets hot. I don't know the logistics. I do know they keep their Canadian citizenship usually, because when I was working Urgent Care, we would have to take cash or bill the Canadien Insurance for their medical costs.

---------- Post Merged at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Ca, WA? Great diving, mild weather.

Iowa? But then you have tornadoes..
Sorry TS and hurricanes are just one of the prices you pay for living in paradise.. Be ready for the outrageous insurance premiums. Closer to the coast, the higher the cost.

sell house and buy a very big sail boat with compresser.

sail the world untill you find the bit that suits you.

sell boat and buy house.

get one with a pool ,nice neighbours near the sea and a good airport.

i'll crew and i dont mind cleaning the pool.

that sail boat thing was actaully the first thing i thought about when i first read the OP. if your retiring based on the the fact you want to go diving, y do u need a house??? i read living aboard is a pretty cool cheap way to retire.

Sail Boat + Compressor = Scuba Retirement Plan

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom