best color for lightsticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Lightsticks and other marker lights now come in all kinds of colors.

Assuming all are the same brightness, what's the best color to be seen underwater?

I've always favored white, but...

Fire is the best color (flares).

Besides that, green/yellow seems GTG.

Red shows up nicely underwater and also doesn't mess up your night vision

I was talking with some Coast Guard rescue pilots awhile back. Red is also the best color to show up on their FLIR. When I am night diving, I carry a red stick as a backup to all else.

I was talking with some Coast Guard rescue pilots awhile back. Red is also the best color to show up on their FLIR. When I am night diving, I carry a red stick as a backup to all else.
Oh yes never thought of that in a diving context. Green will not show up at all on NVG so avoid if you think you might need air support.

If things are that dire, a glow stick really isn't the right tool for the job.

Flares, PLB, Naut', etc. etc.

Lightsticks and other marker lights now come in all kinds of colors.

Assuming all are the same brightness, what's the best color to be seen underwater?

I've always favored white, but...
get the brightest and white-est.

red is the worst color underwater as red wavelengths are the first to be blocked by water (ask any photographer) and so will have the shortest visible range.

a white light emits all wavelengths and is your best all round bet for longest visibility in various conditions.

have you considered using a flashlight instead of a glow stick? we have inexpensive tank marker flashlights ($15 princeton?) that also double as a real flashlight by popping off the white cone.

As an astronomer, it is actual a myth that red is the only colour that doesn't destroy your night vision. It has been proven that it is the light intensity, not the colour that interferes with vision at night. Red lights are just typically less intense than white.

I've got a small red led light for my night dives Bigblue Easy Clip Red LED Light | ADRENO Scuba Diving Centre

I like a blue LED strobe Nite eyes makes a plastic glow stick that houses one of the little inova led lights. I like the strobe because it wont attract the bloodworms like a glowstick will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom