Best Computer for the money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a counter opinion, I think air-integration is a wonderful feature for us, the vast majority of plain, single-tank rec divers. However, I will agree that the WIRELESS air-integration is a major expense for something that isn't as reliable.

But I think a good hosed air-integrated computer actually makes more sense than an old-timey SPG, since you're going to have something you have to check hanging off an HP hose anyway, might as well go the simpler route and have everything there.

In Cozumel last November one member of our group had the analog SPG in his console flood, while some of us with our AI hosed consoles continued to work flawlessly. So those can fail, too. My point is just that the computers these days are reliable, so might as well go with an all-in-one.

Also, while I know one of these posters seemed to have a bad experience with the remaining air time calculations on his AI computer, in contrast I have found the "remaining safe time" gas-consumption-based calculations on my Sherwood Wisdom to be excellent and reliable, and will consistently bring me up right at or above my pre-programmed reserve, even with safety stops pre-calculated - of course, as long as you understand that the numbers mean "at that depth" and will go down or up as you descend or ascend, respectively.

Just a counterpoint to the old-timers here, many of whom would probably also recommend a "more reliable" brass sextant than a "fancy newfangled" GPS.

>*< Fritz

At the risk of sounding flippant but best computer for the money is what the owner wants to spend on it. It could be a simple $300 non-AI dive comp, or it could be a $2000 Galileo Sol, Dive Rite Nitek X (not yet released), LiquidVision, HS Explorer, ad infinitum.

I don't have a Galileo Sol not because I can't afford it (my dive watches cost more than twice what a Sol cost), but because I don't think that it's best for my money. Because "I" don't think that it's best for my money. Others disagree.

So, what's best for YOUR money?

I'll also suggest a Suunto Gekko. I like mine; Cheap, does all it needs to and nothing it doesn't.

You can upgrade after you have more experience and can decide what features YOU want, based on your personal diving, not what other people like for their type of diving.

I'm also a big fan of the Air Integrated ( I have a Suunto Cobra ) as most of my diving tends to be multi-level and it helps me maximize my air consumption, but what really sold me on my Cobra was after I had played around with the one on my rental rig. It was just EASY to use.

Whatever computer you decide on, you really need to learn how to use it properly. Most seem to be pretty easy to use, but like cell phones, some people find one brand easier to use than others. All functions (setting Nitrox mixes, reading your various displays - ascent rate, time left at depth, etc) need to be easily accessed under water without a lot of thought. Pick the computer that you find easiest to use.

Also, a favorite feature of mine of the Suunto is the computer download. I always print off and keep the dive profiles to complete my dive logs, as well as review my SAC and other aspects of the dive. And its easy to watch how my diving has changed over the course of 20-30 dives.

Good luck on your choice, the good news is pretty much no matter what you buy, you are going to get a good computer.

I think everyone have a personal opinion about what is the best dive com but in the end is like fnfalman said: have to think what is best for your money. We all have different expectations: color, average depth, big, small, graph, compass, maps eventually :)

I did tried few dive coms as a leisure diver and I am quite happy right now with Aladdin Prime and also with Suunto D4, Gekko is also not bad. In your budget (500$) are plenty available even brand new. Maybe if you can share your expectations we will be able to help you narrow down some of the models that may be suitable to match your request ;-) Hope this help.

Dive safe,
c :)

I see many people praising the Suunto Gekko here, but I have one thing i wish to say about that computer that noone seems to have added...

The computer is of a clumsy size. Its almost the size of a coffie-cup! And I remember it getting in the way CONSTANTLY during my rescue course, always finding something to get hooked to! Now I realize that the rescue course is nothing like normal fundives, but still. Im buying a computer sometime later this year, and im definitely going for something "flatter" than that hockey-puck!

If it had a more slender design, I would buy it tho

AI sucks. Just another feature that can and will break for absolutely no real benefit.

Mine own broke and failed high - pressure read 5400lbs. - No computer and pressure gauge since pressure/computer were integrated so I had to replace both.

Since the AI computer had limited deco capability, I replaced the computer with a full deco multi gas open and closed circuit computer in preparation for future dive training.

Since diving with this computer and a standard pressure gauge, I realized that AI did not provide any real benefit - You are either diving to gas limits or NDL and looking at a magic number was no different than looking at my NDL time and tank pressure. Worst case, a failure of the computer or pressure monitoring system could have you chasing a bogus AI number.

Likewise, any dive beyond NDL limits would be planned (software) and performed with tables with bottom timers and ideally a computer which would correlate to the same (software) to provide backup to any dynamic situation that occurred.

A hypothetical situation - I got my AI Wireless computer - The manual says it's also a deco computer and it uses a "special" algorithm which instead of having fixed stops at various depths you have a range of depths so you cruise into a deco obligation either by accident or design and subsequently start an ascent following a range of ascent depths. The computer goes bzzz - No pressure or depth. No back up tables since no tables because software cannot anticipate your freeform ascent profile?

So -

For NDL diving its so simple to follow pressure gauge and computer NDL limits without having to replace both if you have equipment issues or being compromised by a bad AI number.

For Deco diving, software, tables, bottom timers, and ideally a computer that shares the same algorithm as your diving planning software.

With all that being said, I have seen setups where a wireless computer was used to monitor 3 (or 4) gasses in a rebreather setup and this certainly made sense - It was not AI.

Last edited:
Nice evidence based statement by you too Dwayne. We all have our opinions, sometimes it's best to keep some of them to ourselves.

Good diving, Craig

I'm a newbie and thank goodness I looked back at previous posts for a possible answer to my question.... found a bit of a squabble going on and it makes me laugh! Good thing I didn't post a new post on an old question... might have sent divers over the deep end :D Saved us all!

That said and all joking aside (and i am joking>>>>)... Thank you all for the great information. I didnt want to go back too far in the forums due to the nature of electronics... they graduate so fast and so often to newer, better, faster, sleeker models. (but willing to take more advice on the subject as well - brands/makes/models...simple and not too expensive)

I am going to brave an outshoot to my fact-finding mission: given that I have the mask/fins/snorkel.(of course)..... is a personal computer the next best piece of equipment that I should be looking at? Everytime I travel out of the US, the dive shops have not had computers. I dont mind the tables and do them anyway before a dive, but I am a data freak and would like to keep better track of my dives. Thoughts on the next best purchase????? I know it might be a personal preference, but maybe there is something my brain isn't thinking of. Computer next purchase - Yes? No?

Back
Top Bottom