Best critter diving out of Townsville? Mid-December...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marinebio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I will be in Townsville in mid-December for a project and would like to spend a few days diving before I return. I've been reading a lot but I'm not sure where I should go for the best critters (higher the biodiversity the better). Should I go out of Cairns or are there great critter dives out of Townsville? I'm on a budget and alone this time and don't need any luxury.... I'd just like to see a few spots that are classic healthy GBR where I might bring back groups for future expeditions....

So if you only had a few days, where would you dive on the GBR?

You dont hve much choice out of Townsville. Only one operator - Adrenaline Dive. They visit Wheeler Reef and once a week do an overnight trip to teh Yongala wreck.

The Yongala has by far more life than Wheeler, but you may be better to travel to Ayr just south of Townsville and do the day trip. Takes 40 mins to get to teh wreck rather than 3 hours from Townsville. Cheaper too.

Yongala Wreck Dives From Ayr Or Townsville

If you do go to Cairns (4 hours drive north) there are plenty of over night boats where you can do 1 or 2 night trips. Or look at day trips. Nearly all of the sites there have a great diversity and you will visit a number of diffrent sites. Overnight trips are the best as you get more dives and also night dives.

Cairns Live Aboard Over Night Dive Trips To The Outer Barrier Reef, Cod Hole And Coral Sea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom