Best dive BOAT in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishfood

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After reading there seams to be lot of top notch dive operators in Cozumel. But looking for opinion on dive operators base on boats.

I go diving yearly with my mom has slight mobility issues wither her knees. She can put on her own fins and bcd while sitting. She prefers to giant stride entry and i normally try to get a spot next to the swim ladder so she can gear up walk 5 feet then jump in. Some boats in the past she had to gear up and walk to the edge and put on her fins. With her gear on and tank she cant bend over and put on her own fins. So i normally help her with fins when she jumps in the water then i have to RUSH to put on my gear and do checks before i hit the water. :bash:

The other option back role and she has found she hates it or loves it. Some boats are really well designed for back roiling and others are not. Last trip in palau she could gear up stand up and just sit on the edge because they were low and she did not have to try and climb up on to the side of the boat to put or tank on or over the edge.

Exits are more fun She can and will hull her gear out but we find it easier to just remove her BCD and hand it up to the dive boat to try to save her legs.

So looking for suggestion on a dive op with good boats what will fit are needs, I know some ops use different boats and not always able to get same boat every day, and i noticed a lot of dive ops on the webpage don't show there boats or have very little info on the boats that they use.

Ohh yeah and if they could be friendly safe and have a good dive guide even more bonus:D

If she can't bend over to put on her own fins, then I would skip any dive op with 6-pack boats. They are usually very cramped, and if the DM needs to help her it can be an issue.

Several dive ops have larger boats, with plenty of room.

We like ScubaClubCozumel for that reason. Room to walk around in fact. The smaller boats do a back roll, the bigger boats do a giant stride entry.... you can ask for a bigger boat if that is best for her. Either way, all their boats would work for her, and someone can help her put on her fins every dive, while you are gearing up. I have seen it, so I know this for a fact. I always need help standing up and after the first dive, the boat crew knows it and will be right there by my side to pull up on my tank.
Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop They do a whole hotel/food/dive package... check out my trip reports for details. Not big and fancy so not for everyone. It is a DIVE resort, focused on divers only.

Getting back on the boat --- every dive op will accomodate her, let her take her BC off in water, then climb ladder.

robin

Any dive boat i'm on.
I dive with dive paradise they have large boats. I would suggest a private DM. I watched DM Santos with an 75yr old lady. He put her boots on for her and she held onto him the whole dives. He even took pics for her. enjoy

Any dive boat i'm on.
I dive with dive paradise they have large boats. I would suggest a private DM. I watched DM Santos with an 75yr old lady. He put her boots on for her and she held onto him the whole dives. He even took pics for her. enjoy

Santos has been my DM the past two times I've visited Cozumel. He didn't have to put my boots on but he did help me wrangle my 40 cubic foot pony on the boat in rough seas. I'm not sure of the name but the boat number is 88. It's got places to giant stride into the water on the port and starboard mid-ships and aft. The only place to get back on the boat is aft.

I had a seat next to the port exit and I liked getting into the water there more than stepping down to giant stride off the back.

I understand your moms problems with her knees...I've had 2 ACL repairs and fractures in mine. Honestly, a six pack with a back roll entry works best for me. I put my fins on seated, scoot up on the rail of the boat and roll off. It's very simple. After the dive, I take my BC off in the water, hand it up, remove my fins and use the ladder. For me, the less I have to move around on the boat especially with gear, the better. I like to dive with Albatros Charters on their six pack "Libra" it's a great boat and a great crew. I have also dove on Blue Angels and BlueXtaSeas boats with no problems.

I go diving yearly with my mom has slight mobility issues wither her knees. She can put on her own fins and bcd while sitting. She prefers to giant stride entry and i normally try to get a spot next to the swim ladder so she can gear up walk 5 feet then jump in. Some boats in the past she had to gear up and walk to the edge and put on her fins. With her gear on and tank she cant bend over and put on her own fins.

Exits are more fun She can and will hull her gear out but we find it easier to just remove her BCD and hand it up to the dive boat to try to save her legs.

I will cheer-lead for my my op, Scuba with Alison :cheerleader: :cheerleader: . What I would suggest would be how it would work for her on the Maximus, Alison's boat:

1. Get up and walk to rear of boat. Sit on transom and put fins on.
2. Turn around and put feet on swim platform.
3. Carlos, the Capitan, carries her gear to her and sits it on the transom for her to slip into with any help she needs.
4. After she is strapped in, Alison will be by for a safety check.
5. On Carlos' command, she stands and on the second command she giant strides into the water.
6. At the end of the dive, she can shed the gear and Carlos will haul it aboard or he can help take the weight as she climbs. Just tell Alison what you want ahead of time.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2013 at 03:50 PM ----------

On the other hand if she wants to roll, she would take a seat on the gunwale in the back, put fins on as above (only keep the feet inside the boat!) and the gear will be brought to her as above.

I would suggest you check out Aquatic Sports.One of the oldest ops in Cozumel owned by a great guy named Sergio Sandaval.He has 2 boats that probably would be perfect.No rush outfit and they feed you a great lunch during surface interval.Another outfit is Tres Pelicanos,they have the Skinny Shark which is one nice boat in my estimation.

This is my 3rd time out there and diving with Jeremy @ Living Underwater. For any divers requiring special attention, a private DM is a great idea, and Jeremy's boats is setup for a back roll entry. Good luck!

Dive Paradise has two boats, the Aries and the Sagitarrio(names I think) that actually have openings to step off on each side of the pilot cabin. Plus the regular transom exit. These are slower boats and capable of handling at least 14 divers. But they usually only put on 10 unless everyone is in one group.
Thom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom