Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the user adjust GF (H/L) directly or do they dial in a number corresponding to a conservatism factor (or %) where the GF to conservatism factor is set by SW?
Could be both. To set conservatism, you go to that section of the menu and find where it says Conservatism. You then hit edit. You can select from Low, Medium, and High presets, or choose custom. The GFs assigned to those presets show up in the menu when scroll through the options. If you choose custom, you then can set the GFLo and GFHi.

BTW, this is a totally different sub menu from where you select the gas mix. Both are clearly labeled, so if users are changing GFs thinking it’s gas, then they clearly aren’t reading.

if you get to a point that helium is needed rebreather is a better route and you will need a petrel with the rebreather and use the perdix as a back up.
If you ever arrive at this point, you are not one of the poor so money is not an issue.
:wink:

I recommend a Ratio iX3M computer. It's a more advanced and a more reliable computer.
Get a iX3m 2 Pro. It air integrated, has a built in compass, and is a 3 gas computer (Nitrox, air & gauge). The best thing about Ratio computers is when you want to up grade to Trimix or CCR you don't have to sell your computer and buy a brand new one. You just have to buy the up grade program for your existing computer.

I recommend a Ratio iX3M computer. It's a more advanced and a more reliable computer.
Get a iX3m 2 Pro. It air integrated, has a built in compass, and is a 3 gas computer (Nitrox, air & gauge). The best thing about Ratio computers is when you want to up grade to Trimix or CCR you don't have to sell your computer and buy a brand new one. You just have to buy the up grade program for your existing computer.
Compare service availability and quality, transmitters, and resale value before choosing between computers.

Evidence for "more advanced" and "more reliable"? The latter will be even harder to prove given that the Ratio is so new that reliability data will be limited.

The main advantage I see for the Ratio's over the Shearwater's are GPS and Gas analysis.
The main disadvantages appear to be a less intuitive user interface. see:

The main disadvantages appear to be a less intuitive user interface. see
If a diver buys the full technical version and doesn't know or understand what GF L/H are, that's not an issue with the computer's interface.

If a diver buys the full technical version and doesn't know or understand what GF L/H are, that's not an issue with the computer's interface.
What about smaller fonts and having to re-synchronize AI every time?

I haven't personally compared menu structures, etc. but Shearwater has a reputation for doing UI better than anyone else. Maybe I should say "possibly" with regard to UI advantage/disadvantage.

What about smaller fonts and having to re-synchronize AI every time?

I responded to you there.

No, you don't have to synchronize them everytime. Once synchronized, they are "mated."

I responded to you there.

No, you don't have to synchronize them everytime. Once synchronized, they are "mated."
Glad to hear that! I'm seriously considering the Ratio as my next computer. The only thing holding me back is my existing investment in Garmin transmitters and the loss of AI on my Mk2i if I switch. Two transmitters on a first stage seems silly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom