Best Dive Operators near Westin Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1973Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sons and I are going to Grand Cayman in June and plan to dive 3 - 4 days 1 - 2x per day. 2 are Rescue Certified, one only OW, but has 40 - 50 dives and is very competent. We prefer smaller, high quality shops rather than meat boats. Grateful for any suggestions.

Nearby - Ambassador Divers, Neptune's Divers or Indigo Divers. All dive smaller groups only.

But they're all good - Cayman Islands Tourism Association - CITA Member by Watersports/Dive Sector

Red Sail is at the Westin - may not be what you're looking for - depends on the day. They're the Disney Cruise op.
Foster's has the rest of the cruise contracts plus they're south of town so maybe not them either.

Everyone is 8 divers/DM - some that's groups, others that's all they take per boat. Many specify on their websites. 4 of you might be considered a full load with some of the smaller ops. I've heard, but not experienced - that Ambassador could be one of them.

Just about every shop will pickup free at most resorts/condo complexes near the Westin.

Dive Turtle Reef also - it's an easy entry shore dive. Lunch at Macabuca Tiki bar after. Short drive north from the area you're staying.

Last edited:
If only looking for 1 to 2 dives a day consider your shore diving options as they are a lot less expensive, easy and fun. Turtle reef has been suggested and that is one of my favorites. Lighthouse Pt and Divetech is another. I enjoy Edenrock on a Sunday where GT is nice and quiet and when no cruise ships. I know others have different opinions but it is fun exploring the swim throughs. On boat ops, I would add Off the Wall as an option. If you are four divers you probably could book with OTW to where you want as they have a small 6 pack type boat. With four divers you are looking at $500/day for a two tank boat vs less than $80/day for two tank shore. OTW will also do single tank boat trips to the KW but I think many other ops do the same. If committed to boat diving, don't let the size of the boat throw you off. Divetech has bigger boats but they run a great operation and I would not characterize them as cattle boats.

Nearby - Ambassador Divers, Neptune's Divers or Indigo Divers. All dive smaller groups only.

But they're all good - Cayman Islands Tourism Association - CITA Member by Watersports/Dive Sector

Red Sail is at the Westin - may not be what you're looking for - depends on the day. They're the Disney Cruise op.
Foster's has the rest of the cruise contracts plus they're south of town so maybe not them either.

Everyone is 8 divers/DM - some that's groups, others that's all they take per boat. Many specify on their websites. 4 of you might be considered a full load with some of the smaller ops. I've heard, but not experienced - that Ambassador could be one of them.

Just about every shop will pickup free at most resorts/condo complexes near the Westin.

Dive Turtle Reef also - it's an easy entry shore dive. Lunch at Macabuca Tiki bar after. Short drive north from the area you're staying.

Everyone picks up at the Westin, you can choose any operator you want. I like Wall to Wall, check out their website to see if that's what you want. If you get to the Westin and need help, talk to the concierge Penny, she will lead you in the right direction, tell her Craig sent you.

Going to Grand Cayman mid-July. Not sure where we're staying yet, does it matter for diving?

It can matter but it depends who you are traveling with, their interests and the purpose of the trip. If it is a group of divers doing a dive trip I would suggest a couple places. If it is a family vacation with nondivers and you want to dive then I have a couple different suggestions.

Thanks, tkaelin, I'm going with my wife who no longer dives. We'll rent a car and drive around to see the sites above the water. Stayed there once before but didn't look around much. Even though we're retirement age, my wife is a CPA and I keep pushing for her to GET A JOB there so I can dive all day!!! :)

If it is not a dedicated dive trip and your spouse is a nondiver, 7mb can be nice. You can choose from a number of dive ops and your wife can enjoy the beach. My spouse dives but not 2 tank boat dives. We did a long weekend on the east end staying and diving with oceanfrontiers. I have been to OF a number of times and love the diving. I did boat dives in the AM while my wife relaxed. We hit Rum Point in the PM. While my wife enjoyed it, she preferred our stays on 7mb where she could shore dive and enjoy walks on the beach. Its up to what you think you will prefer and how long you are staying. Our preference is to avoid crowds especially cruise ship crowds. When we stay on 7MB, we staying further up away from GT for a little more peace and quiet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom