Best diving in USA poll

Which place in USA has the best overall diving?

• Florida

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • California

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • Washington / North Western USA

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Hawaii

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • Great Lakes areas

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Texas

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other (not mentioned)

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly why I want... no.... need to visit. I've got two friends who have migrated to Florida this year and some distant relatives who are there as well...

Calling Mselenaous. You said your couch was always available right?:D

I lived in Cali for several years. There are things that beat Florida for sure, like dirt biking and other things I do miss. However the diving just doesnt compare with the variety here.

Reading this thread it really emphasizes the fact that we don't need to go anywhere in the world to dive, America has it ALL!! I want to dive in all places you folks mention.

(Note to self: I gotta make lots of money fast so that I can retire soon and dive all over the US.)

I lived in Cali for several years. There are things that beat Florida for sure, like dirt biking and other things I do miss. However the diving just doesnt compare with the variety here.

Kevin, I have never dived in Florida and said so but having dived here from one end of the State to another, I stand by my opinion but respect yours having dived both places.

That said, I do have several friends that live in Florida and have dived both places. They love the warm water there but miss the diversity of California diving. Their words, not mine. And yes, many divers here including myself use a drysuit but the vast majority of regular divers still slip on a 7mm wetsuit.

Kevin, I have never dived in Florida and said so but having dived here from one end of the State to another, I stand by my opinion but respect yours having dived both places.

That said, I do have several friends that live in Florida and have dived both places. They love the warm water there but miss the diversity of California diving. Their words, not mine. And yes, many divers here including myself use a drysuit but the vast majority of regular divers still slip on a 7mm wetsuit.

I understand that, but I think personal opinions are getting in the way here. Look at all the options I listed, band that's not all that's there. Do you have that many types of diving and conditions? No, you don't. This is all subjective anyway as to the best. I'm going with diverse having more options and places to go. You guys beat where I live LOL, I'm ten minutes from 2 lakes and the diving is ok, cold in winter and never more than 15ft viz. Luckily I'm close to Florida and can do day trips.

Hi Burhan ! Have not seen you in in years. I think the last time was when you had the shop in Nyack NY and I was still in Connecticut ! Hope all is well with you.

Regards,
Joel

Hi Joel,

It has been at least 10 years if you believe it!! I is a very pleasant surprise to see you here!! I hope that all is well with you and Kathy!!

I am in Libya now being the big boss for an IT company in the Middle East. My two sons are getting older and will be in college in about a year when I hope to be back in the US (Boston area).

Please give my best regards to Kathy!

I'll PM you with my contact information.

Hawaii wins hands down for ease of access, pleasant conditions above and below, exceptional viz, and the cutest marine life. Fla is really nice (and has cool big fish) but you have to take a boat (big negative if you don't live there and own one), there's nasty insects, and so far the question of typical viz is still open. Cali is totally super but [-]half[/-] 95% of the time you either can't get in or you can't see, or both. Have to confess I haven't done any SoCal shore diving. That could tip the scales to Cali for me if there's more than, like, 3 spots to go (like Monterey).

Plus, we were cruised by an enormous sailfish while diving in 25 ft of water two weeks ago off South Kona. Hard to top that so far, though the big reef shark in Fla that played coy until my back was turned comes close.

Stop, you're all right. The US has an incredible number of great dive sites with very different conditions. I must learn to dive a drysuit to further expand my horizons. I frequently dive SE FL, Jupiter, Boynton and Key Largo, and San Diego, Wreck Alley, Hogan, Coronados. I recently had the opportunity to dive in Massuchusetts (47 degrees in a wetsuit is not too bad). I look forward to oppotunities to dive in Northern CA, Washington, North Carolina, NJ and NY... So much to dive, so little time. I feel very lucky to to have so many "local" options.

Good diving, Craig

Unless you go to a few select, expensive locations, the diving in CA is way over-rated. It is drysuit cold, the surf entries stink, the visibility is usually atrocious, its very expensive to visit here, there are very few lakes, and the currents can be nasty at times.

Florida on the other hand has warm water, the viz was usually very good, there was tons of marine life, cavern and cave diving is world famous, and it was less expensive to dive there than CA.

I think you're absolutely right. California diving does suck and it is totally overrated.
The kelp does nothing but get in the way, it's freezing ass cold, there are big waves and surf entries to contend with, the vis is horrible most of the time and there is absolutely nothing to see.
I think people should forget about California and stay away. There is nothing for you here. Go to Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom