Best diving vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishdip

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I am wanting to build a nice Diving vehicle that is everything I could want for diving. I was at first thinking a truck like a 5500 "
custom box" or a Toyota Tacoma but I would also like for me to overnight in it so I started looking at vans like cargo and such. But not 100% sure so wanted to ask the world lol. IF you could build your ideal rig what would it be and what would it have?
I Do require the following out of it.

1. Pull a 4000 pound boat.
2. Sleep 2 ppl ideal
3. be able to hold and access all gear easy.
4. make every diver cry with how amazing it is lol.

No idea how they are for pulling, but see pretty well hooked up Sprinter Class Bs at the campgrounds/surf spots. I'm thinking hassle factor is less with Class B. But that is only a pure guess, have no experience with one. Only ever pulled a Casita travel trailer camping. For me, it'd be the Class B vs camper truck.

IMG_7511.jpeg

Search SB for the Chairman's two builds. His first used a Sprinter (Mercedes) van. Both builds seem quite neat!

rx7diver

Hi @The Chairman

Whatever happened to the scuba wagon?

It depends on how big you want. The high roof transit van are awesome as dive vehicles but are really really poor for towing. I run a 2023 extended express 3500 cargo. I have an RV couch that folds into a bed. A fifteen CFM compressor, 6 oxygen and helium tanks, my dive gear, and whatever else I need. It daily tows a 6 ton dive boat.
All that said, it is a piece of crap compared to the rusted out Econoline 350 that it replaced. It is now the only option for towing with a van, but I would never in a million years recommend a chevy van over an econoline if you are shopping used.
A box truck or small bus would be ideal, but you can quickly run into parking issues in many areas.

Hi @The Chairman

Whatever happened to the scuba wagon?
My Ford T350 is for sale. I don't use it much anymore, especially since I live here.

but are really really poor for towing.
Indeed. I have air suspension helpers for mine that I have yet to install. Something always comes up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom