best diving within 2 - 3 hr drive from disney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to dock issues... I was disappointed in walking down a "plank" with a steep angle balanced on a cooler recently. It looked like a accident waiting to occur but I have Mad ninja cat skills and did fine.

This was my issue -- an unsecured, narrow gangway with no handrail, perched tenuously on the edge of the dock, and balancing on a plastic stepstool on the boat. There was no way I was going to try to carry tanks up that, nor did the crew offer to, or carry any gear for the divers.

Similarly, there was no assistance getting back on the boat -- nobody to take any gear from the divers (cameras, etc.) and nobody to help you to your feet or help you stabilize on the way to the tank rack.

I had no issues in the water, but then again, I expect nothing from dive guides other than that they might point out interesting critters, which, at least from my three days in Florida, is not something the guides there do.

For Charters you for sure want to hit the south east coast. Jupiter and West Palm. Those are very nice reefs.

Tampa down to venice Beach you can do the "Shark Tooth" dives either shore or boat charter.

North you have my FAVORITES The Springs and hundreds of them. I would you not leave here with out seeing them or at least one.

I am very close to orlando so it is a nice spot because you have nice diving here and in any direction.

You should give Scuba Works and dive on Blue Tang in Jupiter. Yeah, I'm a little biased because I am one of their divemasters. But we'll take excellent care of you. The boat is a 30 ft. island hopper and only takes around 10 people so it's never crowded. www.scubaworks.com The captains are Alan, John, and Jonathan.....all super nice easygoing guys.

Oh, sorry......I posted under husband's login by accident. This is Angie also one of the divemasters on Blue Tang. Yep, we are the husband and wife divemastering duo. Ha Ha!

Last edited:
ALL of the boats in west palm/jupiter that are not six packs will be super crowded when full (think nice summer weekend) The most crowded I've been on was the JASA boat, but fortunately the crew did an excellent job managing it.

I can strongly recomend ScubaWorks and Blue Tang out of Jupiter. Great boat/crew and actually some of the best diving in Florida.

And I am not a, nor married to a divemaster there!

I live just east of Orlando, and there are lots of options within a reasonable drive. As everyone mentioned, Jupiter and West Palm are going to be your best bet for good reefs. The west coast, from Clearwater on down, will give you a good taste of Gulf diving, and you can also be cheap by doing shore dives off of, say, Spanish Rocks near Bradenton, or sharktooth diving in Venice.

Both west and east coasts have wrecks available for recreational divers.

Those are your saltwater options, but you'll also be very close to lots of freshwater sites like Ginnie Springs or Alexander Springs, which can be great experiences too, especially if some of your family are divers but others aren't - the divers can get wet while the rest of the family enjoys the park. (That actually goes for the shore dives mentioned above, too - the non-divers can enjoy the beach or snorkelling while the divers do their thing.)

Another option worth looking into: you can actually dive the huge aquarium at Disney's Epcot!

The aquarium is actually not much of a dive, I would dive someplace else if you have the time and energy, see previous post.

Good diving, Craig

I go to Kissimmee every summer and like to get in as much diving as the schedule allows

As you are going to Disney, I assume you have kids in tow so I would definitely consider Clearwater for a day. I go at least once every year and dive with Capt Rod at Welcome To Dive Clearwater!
Its an early start (leave about 6ish) to get to Clearwater for a 7.30 show,8am go. The Plunger is situated right by the beach and will have a parking spot by the boat cheaper than the beach car park
My non diving wife and kids grab some breakfast whilst I'm checking in then head to the beach for about 9am. You will be back to join them after a 2 tank trip for 12.30. We then spend the rest of the day on the beach(nice break from the parks!),grab an early dinner and get back to Kissimmee for about 9pm
Due to the hurricane season you will need to check with Capt Rod the day before that he will be going out(I had one scheduled trip cancelled on me last summer) to save on a wasted trip

I also recommend WPB area but it is a good 3 hour drive down the Turnpike. I also go South every year but I make it a 4-5 day trip within a trip as 6-7 hour round trip either side of diving is not my idea of fun

If you have the time/inclination to stay down there Marriott at Singer Island was great last year. Plenty to keep the kids occupied whilst I was away and luxurious enough to keep my wife happy. I dived Pura Vida when in WPB and I thought they were great but would HIGHLY recommend that you take the extra 20-30 min dive south to dive with Kevin at Underwater Explorers in Boynton Beach

I've never been with them because of the trip but you can also try giving Kissimmee Dive Center | Kissimmee, Florida | Scuba Gear | Scuba Courses | Dive Trips a call as they organise day trips down south every Saturday.

I have also done the Disney dive. It was ok but expensive and the fish looked a bit unhealthy to me

I have looked into diving the springs but they are all at least 1.5 hours away so prefer to do Clearwater for the same drive time

Hope this helps and have a good time

Rob

C'mon down to Boynton Beach and dive the best reefs in FLA. Lots of options as far as dive shops/dive operators. We do multi-day/multi-diver all-inclusive deals including lodging. With few exceptions, you can't go wrong whatever you decide and whomever you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom