• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Best Hood that doesn't squeeze my head like a ripe melon

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by Viper12161, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Wet or dry?

If dry, a proper drysuit should have a warmneck into which the diver stuffs the small bib on their proper drysuit hood. No bib flipped up, good thermal protection of one of the bodyparts it's most important to have good thermal protection on.

2. Doby45

Doby45 Do I have something in my teeth?

K01 for the WIN!

3. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    People flip the bib because it doesn't fit into the warmneck properly. (My wife does this.) I suppose the solution would be to trim the bib.

4. Storker

Storker Divemaster

"hand me the scissors"

5. Graeme Fraser

Graeme Fraser Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Both. Yes, fine if the drysuit has a neck sleeve, but many (including mine) don't. My neck seal is neoprene and quite long so I don't need the extra layer. Horses for courses I suppose.

6. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I took his statement to be referring to the people wearing wetsuit hoods that have the big skirt that is meant to tuck into the wetsuit. I also often see people with those where the skirt is just flipped up. The skirt on those is definitely too big to fit into a drysuit warm neck.

That skirt is why I only buy drysuit hoods. They cover my neck and will tuck into a drysuit warm neck or overlap (a little) with a wetsuit neck.

Graeme Fraser likes this.
  7. davehicks

davehicks Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The last dry suits bought for my wife and I each came with Hoods tailored to match the suits. Santi and Waterproof. My Waterproof hood fits perfectly into the skirt/pocket behind the neck to tuck it in and a velcro'd flap in the front.

8. CodeS

CodeS Angel Fish

I got myself a custom 7mm hood from the local custom shop. I love the thing to bits, wouldn't give a second thought to recommending you do the same.

9. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    My wife feels uncomfortable with the Santi hood tucked into the warmneck of her Santi suit, so she keeps it flipped up. I don’t think she has a short neck or otherwise uncommon shape. I find mine perfectly comfortable (well, as comfortable as I think a hood could be). It appears to be an individual thing.