Best knive metal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Ocean master beta tit too, it's unbeliveably corrsion resistant, you really don't even need to wash it after salt water dives. My father has had one for over a year and never washes it and there is no rust on it. It's also very sharp. I've had a lot of nice stainless knives, but, none with the corrison resistance of these beta knives. As a "work" knife you might want a stainless to hold an edge, but, as a knife only to to be used to cut yourself free, I've been very imppressed with the Ocean master.

Buy a cheap enough knife and you can replace it often...
I find the expensive ones other guys drop but still haven't had to replace my victornox kitchen paring knife... so I they just sit there in the garage... course I suppose if I were to use one I could take some weight off the belt.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
I find the expensive ones other guys drop but still haven't had to replace my victornox kitchen paring knife... so I they just sit there in the garage
Or you could throw em up on Ebay and make some $$.:eek:ut:

UP,

I think we should buy up all the Ginzu knives left over from the 70s, you can grind them down to the right shape, and we can sell them in better dives stores, next to the Pug Spit. Whatya think?

Mike

UP,

Great minds must work alike. I have a Victornox paring knife shortened, blunted, and with groves ground in for serrations. It is cheap, razor sharp and rust resistant.
Lloyd

Originally posted by MikeS
UP,

I think we should buy up all the Ginzu knives left over from the 70s, you can grind them down to the right shape, and we can sell them in better dives stores, next to the Pug Spit. Whatya think?

Mike
I'm in but we need to include Lloyd since he has independently corroborated the concept...

Sounds good. I'm in too.
Lloyd
All kidding aside that is really my knife. I get them for $5.00 each at my local meat market brand new. I then shorten them to about 1-1/2" and grind the tip slowly to not over heat it into an old sheep's foot shape. I then use a die grinder to put curved notches in it. They are the perfect size to then sharpen with a ceramic rod. The last 1/2" are so is left flat. The metal will take a razor edge and is very durable. This knife is much better than GI3's imho.:D

Sounds interesting. What is the thickness of the blade? (side to side, not cutting edge to top, of course). Is there any possibility of posting a photo of the result?
My preffered dive knife is a Gerber River Shorty. It's nice and compact, has a decent sized grip, and the serrated edge goes through rope like it isn't there. Your modification sounds like it might give a similar result...
Matt
Lloyd once bubbled...
Sounds good. I'm in too.
Lloyd
All kidding aside that is really my knife. I get them for $5.00 each at my local meat market brand new. I then shorten them to about 1-1/2" and grind the tip slowly to not over heat it into an old sheep's foot shape. I then use a die grinder to put curved notches in it. They are the perfect size to then sharpen with a ceramic rod. The last 1/2" are so is left flat. The metal will take a razor edge and is very durable. This knife is much better than GI3's imho.:D

I also carry a Gerber, plenty sharp enough and fairly corrosion resistant. Fits good on my BC as well.:mean:

On the very high end, talonite is interesting. No ferrous content and no rust, but many people feel it outcuts titanium and low-end stainless. The substantial cost is what has prevented me from buying one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom