best location for family trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ginjg

Registered
Reaction score
The Criteria are: (all criteria are equal)
1) warm water
2) lots of swim throughs underwater environment - for the experienced divers
3) will do Jr open water certs - for the newbies
4) **Affordable** from Los Angeles

We've got a week, probably in August. The boys (10 1/2 & 12 3/4) are eager to get certified. They loved their discover scuba experience with two 35 ft dives in Puerto Vallarta and were very disappointed that we didn't have time for them to do their certification and do more dives.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm going to Kona. (From LA)
Also Kauai was really great for a family trip. I took my wife, both of our kids and their spouses along with their kids. We stayed in a condo in Poipu. The non-divers loved snorkeling in Brenneke beach, even the babies loved it!

SeasSport Divers in Poipu were running classes and the students said it was great!

Dave

here's a second vote for Kona. Check out www.konahonudivers.com
I think they will be perfect for you. There is also www.jacksdivinglocker.com for istruction. Either way, they are good with young divers and the more advanced divers will have a good time too.

Kona in Aug --- water is warm but not like the Caribbean.
If you want to do the Caribbean you will have to pay more for airfare but cheaper for all else. That is also the heart of storm season so you need to weigh the risks.

robint

Good suggestion for C & B $$ wise.

We did Cozumel without the kids 3 years ago. I think drift diving there may be a little too swift for new divers.

Belize doesn't have any swim throughs that I'm aware of (other than blue hole, that is).

I dont know about the swim-throughs, but Bonaire sounds like it will work for you. Buddy Dive Resort has a great kids program and now they have an "underwater park" that is sign posted for a self-guided tour right off shore. They have the full version and a shallow one that is friendly for young divers.

The 24/7 diving will give you the freedom to go when you feel like it, and their "Dive & Drive" package comes with a truck so you can explore dive sites all over the island or take off for a top-side adventure - the kids will love the donkey sanctuary.

Another option is Anthony's Key, Roatan and summer months brings the Dolphin Academy for the kids. You can dive by yourselves in the morning while they play with and learn about the dolphins, parents can choose to join the kids in the afternoon for diving so you enjoy the experience together - only downside is, Bay Islands is not cheap to get to and you will be paying almost as much for the kids to stay there as you will for the adults.

Probably the least inexpensive as far as airfare (but the resort may end up costing you the difference when comparing to Bonaire) is Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman. They offer all kinds of kids programs, land and water-based including certification. Their packages for certified divers include 2 morning boat dives and the unlimited shore diving from their property - again, gives you a certain amount of flexibility.

Give me call or drop me a line if you would like some help with pricing and choosing the best fit for your family.

I dive with my kids and its awesome to share the experience with them but its also nice to be able to just go off and do the adult dives too. Best of luck!

- Cheryl

Bonaire has few if any swim throughs. More at Roatan.

Expect for the money point of view - the Caymans best fit all his requirements.

DeputyDan:
Bonaire has few if any swim throughs. More at Roatan.

Expect for the money point of view - the Caymans best fit all his requirements.
Although the original poster didn't include it in his requirements, an easy flight without connections helps a lot when traveling with a family. That's a big plus for Hawaii. Both Hawaii and the Caymans are expensive, though.

Charlie99:
Although the original poster didn't include it in his requirements, an easy flight without connections helps a lot when traveling with a family. That's a big plus for Hawaii. Both Hawaii and the Caymans are expensive, though.

I agree with the observation about direct flights.

It's 6 hours from Phoenix to Hawaii (perhaps 5 hours from LA). I assume with the time change its a couple more hours to the Caymans.

Back
Top Bottom