Best Mask for Photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it would depend on if I am sticking my eye up to a viewfinder or looking at the back of a point and shoot.

For a point and shoot I would think the type of mask wouldn't matter that much?

Viewfinder, a little bit of light coming in the side can be a real pain.

Again though, nothing matters if it leaks.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts! I hadn't considered black skirted, but will definitely go take another look. :hugs:

Lots of people say to get a black skirted mask for photography, but my husband is an avid photographer and has a clear skirted mask, and no complaints about glare or anything and no desire for black. (Actually I think he tried a black skirted mask once and didn't like it.) All he cares is that it doesn't leak.

:hm: So, the black skirt is more for view-finder shooting, and would not matter on the P&S shooting such as my G10?

.......If I ever find a mask that doesn't leak I will buy 10 of them.......
Black skirting is fine as is low volume, but fit is by miles, the most important feature of any mask.

I am one of the lucky ones, my mask never leaks but my lovely bride has gone through 15 or more masks and as yet can not get one that is leak free.

I don't need to see her as she is three feet up, three feet back, right side.
So who is watching after her? I quickly give the buddy pair sign when someone stays in my blind spot. I want them next to me so I can glance over and see them. That is also where a can light or any type of really bright light comes into play. Your buddy can pass the light into your field of view, then you don't even have to look for them.

For masks I have a Mares X-Vision Mid Liquid Skin and love it. It is blue with clearish skirt. Not transparent enough to see a light from the side though. For me most important thing is fit, and that it does. Usually I only have to clear on a dive if I wind up laughing hard. My backup mask is a black regular X-Vision stowed in my pocket.

Black skirting is fine as is low volume, but fit is by miles, the most important feature of any mask.

I am one of the lucky ones, my mask never leaks but my lovely bride has gone through 15 or more masks and as yet can not get one that is leak free.

I understand - I've found that my Tusa leaks every time I swap regs. For some reason, it contacts very lightly at the temples.

:hm: So, the black skirt is more for view-finder shooting, and would not matter on the P&S shooting such as my G10?

I have both and cannot tell the difference where I dive (deep and dark).. if I were diving in clear, shallow water (on a sunny day), black would be nice to have...but it is much more of a concern with an SLR.

I've used several types. Vision was good with my Atomic with twin lenses, and the black skirt was great for keeping down side light and reflections, but it leaked on me and I've destroyed two of them. (The lens frames separated from the skirt)
I have a cheapy US divers kit mask with a purge that came with the first snorkeling set we bought on a trip to Maui. It works great, but the side glass is useless and the clear skirt allows too much ambient light that is distracting.
I just bought a Mares X-Vision liquid vision mid. Fits my narrow face with minimal leakage, even on my beard. The separation between the two sides is a bit much, I find some distortion trying to look at things close up in the center of my vision. Bottom and side vision are excellent. I had to get red, as that was all that I could find locally, and I get kind of a weird ring reflection on the inside of the right lens, but so far I like it after one day of diving.

Usually I only have to clear on a dive if I wind up laughing hard. My backup mask is a black regular X-Vision stowed in my pocket.

I was going to say "one that fits". I find so far I get minor leaking all the time. I think it's this problem Peter alluded to, though. I'm constantly smiling and laughing while I dive... maybe it's the newb-in-me.

Back
Top Bottom