Best of both worlds - Stay in Coz, Dive the Bullsharks in PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just found this thread also, and had to comment. I was taken over to PDC a few years ago by my dive op. (in a regular open six-pack- we didn't know any different:idk:) We had no problems, and looking for bull sharks was not an 'in thing' as of yet. We did see a lot of turtles, however. There must have been 20 or so of them just hanging around on the bottom. I don't remember if this was near nesting time? Anyway, there were so many I got tired of taking pictures of them. Also, there were a lot of little coral heads around where we were diving, and it seemed that every other one had an eel sticking it's head out and looking at us. I have never seen so many eels (of several types) in one place before. Is this type of thing usual for PDC? Just wondering...Woody
You were probably at Tortugas and no that is not unusual for there. I've heard there are fewer turtles than there used to be on that dive (I haven't done it for a couple of years now) but twice on that site our group had a bull shark drive by. This too was before the bull shark dives further north were the in thing to do. My favorite thing seen on that site was a school of huge tarpon. I was able to get very very close. I understand they are a summer season attraction.

Yeah, some years back we (as new divers not knowing it was a bad idea) went across the channel in a 6 pack-single engine to dive Las Tortugas. First time was no problem, good weather, calm seas. Second time - with the same op - going over was fine. Coming back the weather & winds had changed. We had strong winds against us and waves washing over the bow. I think we all wondered if we'd make it back as the boat fought to make any headway. I will say that when we got back, the DM and Captain got their butts royally chewed by the owner for making the trip - apparently without permission.

There was some discussion in another thread and this one as to whether or not this is safe in that type of boat.Well I see I am not the only one who thought it was negligence...... Escamilla Cesar Cepeda, former leader of the association of diving Anoaat commented that it was crazy and if anyone had died it would have been very bad for tourism.:shocked2:Google Translate
COZUMEL, February 9. - "If he had died a tourist traveling in the boat that sank last week, we had been crucified," was the opinion reached by Cesar Cepeda Escamilla, professional diver and member of the National Association of Operators Water Activities and Tourism (Anoaat) and irresponsible calls the crew to travel in a glass bottom boat at sea.It will be recalled on Thursday February 2, the glass bottom boat (as stated by the crew themselves) that operated under the name "Living Underwater", sank half Cozumel channel when nine people, seven tourists and two crew were traveling to Playa del Carmen on an expedition diving with bull sharks.Fortunately the nine were rescued unharmed the same day around 13:30 hours.A week after the fact, the experienced diver Escamilla Cesar Cepeda, former leader of the association of diving Anoaat houses, have perished considered one of the tourists and crew members of the same crew, "the impact to the destination would have been very strong .We have land lying neglected for lack of seriousness, we have crucified out there. "His point of view on the glass bottom boats for the water activity was that "this type of glass bottom boats, not for crossing the 'cliff', these vessels must navigate a sea completely calm without any waves.Here what happened was that risked and was the second time I ventured to cross, the first time there were no problems came and went.But I'm a scuba instructor, I say to the captain or my employer, I do not go out to sail on this, you're crazy. '"Then said the crew of this vessel "are not native to the island, are not used to navigate, are nothing but dive and navigation do not know them up without knowing, then to drop the boat on the wave, flew glass bottom and that's where he got the water. "In his view "the pattern of boat is young, new, lacks experience, and maybe he did not have the judgment to refuse to leave or left by the desperation of the season so ****ed we have."He concluded that this had no impact to the tourist world, just because fortunately did not pass over.
Spanishdict.com Translation:
COZUMEL, February 9-"Yes had died some tourists travelling in the boat which sank a week ago, we would have crucified" was opinion poured by César Cepeda Escamilla, professional diver and member of the National Association of operators of aquatic and tourist activities (Anoaat), and described as irresponsible the crew to travel in a boat on the open sea glass bottom.As you will be recalled the last Thursday, February 2, the boat glass bottom (as told own crews) which operated under the name "Living Underwater", sank to medium Cozumel channel where nine people, seven tourists and two crew members travelling towards Playa del Carmen an expedition diving with Bull sharks. Fortunately the nine were rescued unharmed the same day around 13: 30 hours.A week of the fact, the experienced diver Caesar Cepeda Escamilla, former leader of the Association of diving Anoaat houses, considers that you have perished either tourists or the same crew crew "for the tourist destination impact was very strong." "They have missed us Earth by negligent, by lack of seriousness, we would have crucified outdoors beyond".His view of the boats of glass for aquatic activity fund was that "this type of glass bottom boats, is not so that they cross the 'cantil', these ships must navigate a completely calm sea without no wave." What happened here was that they risked, and it was the second time that they risked crossing, the first time there was problems came and went. "But if I am a diving instructor, I tell the captain or to my pattern, I go not out sailing in this, they're crazy" '.Then said that the crew of this vessel "are not originally from the island, are not used to navigate, are nothing more diving instructors but are not aware of navigation and they are uploaded without knowing, then to drop the boat on the wave, flew the glass bottom and there was where it got water".Their conception "boat pattern is young, new, lacks experience, and maybe he did not have the trial for refusing to leave or was released by the same despair of the season so ****ing that we have".He concluded that this fact had no impact to the tourism world, only because fortunately it wasn't more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom