Best place in the world to see a whale shark October 2012?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I plan on taking a vacation for two in October or possibly early November. We reallllyyy want to see a whale shark. Assuming we could go anywhere in the world, liveaboard or resort, what's the place that will give us our best chance of seeing a whale shark? Thanks!

Galapagos. October is a great month to see whale sharks...down here known as Mrs. Big because they are mostly pregnant females and mostly the large ones. It's not uncommon for us to sight 45+ ft. Space is a different story - there's very little, but there is some. There's a reason Sept and Oct always sell out.

Maldives- specifically the south of Ari Atoll
Many resorts to choose from- some quite reasonable priced, other more expensive/luxurious

Utila Honorus. Check it out. Some friends of mine have place down there (Island life tours). I'm going next June for my 10 year anniversary. Not whale shark prime time but if we don't see one that will be my excuse to go back another time. Best of luck!

Isla Mujeres in the Summer is really easy to get to.

Djibouti, from October till January, it's a good place to see Whale Shark. I would recommend liveaboard, as the diving along the djiboutian cost is so so.

Maldives is a pretty good place too, Maamigili, South Ari atoll.

Move up your travel plans to September and go to Isla Holbox near Cancun. You can only snorkle with them, not dive, but each of my 3 times there I've seen in excess of 20 whale sharks

There are a hell of a lot in the Philippines year round.

I have been told that Sogod Bay basically has a permanently resident whale shark who you can dive with (more likely snorkel with) pretty much on demand, but I have never verified.

Christmas Island is a good option for whale sharks between October and April. If you could go a little bit later (November) you could also see the famous Christmas Island red crab migration.

Back
Top Bottom