Best place to crash near Cancun airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

little seahorse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We have a 8am flight out of Cancun on Feb 18, so planning on taking the ferry from Cozumel back to the mainland the night before. What is a good place to crash for the night before? Don't need anything fancy, but would like clean and safe.
Thanks!

My wife & I did a trip to Xcalak (Mexico/Belize border) last summer. On the return drive we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard by the airport (Courtyard Cancun Airport). It was exceptionally well kept with a decent restaurant and very nice pool/spa area. Their airport shuttle was the deciding factor for us. Very clean & safe. Have fun!

I don't know about the BEST place to crash near the Cancun airport, but I know the WORST. Years ago, AeroCozumel was flying a couple of Fairchild (Fokker) F-27s on a regular route from Cozumel to Cancun and points beyond. One of their planes have just cleared the end of the Cancun runway, when it lost power and went down in the swap at the end of the runway. No one was killed in the crash, but one passenger did die of a heart attack shortly after the fact. The crashed plane was clearly visible (as well as the giant AEROCOZUMEL name emblazoned on its side) for every other plane taking off and landing at Cancun. Bad advertising. The solution was to have a guy go out with a bucket of paint and paint over the name on the downed craft. We used to joke that from then on, all Aerocozumel pilots were ordered to carry a bucket of paint on board, just in case.

Oh, wait... is that what you meant by crashing near the Cancun airport?

I ran into problems at the airport Confort Inn last year with the free shuttle. At that time the taxi cab union was not allowing them to take passengers to airport via their shuttle and forcing them to take cab's, they were not cheap. Since then I stay downtown in Cancun at the hotel Mayab across the street from the ADO bus terminal.
The Mayab is a basic modest but very clean hotel and unlike the airport area it's not isolated in an industrial area. I like going to the park about 2 blocks away (artisan park) which has food stalls, music, craft vendors, ect every night. The Mayab pricing varies with availablity but a quick check is currently showing $41USD for the 17th. In the AM the ADO bus start running at 0430 but for an 8 AM the 0600 would get you to the terminal by 0635-0640. The bus costs $72 MXN but I would recommend getting a ticket the night before, so you do it have to stand in line at the ticket window in the early AM when they are minimaly staffed, it is only about a 3 minute walk from the hotel. If the Mayab fills up another place that looks decent across from the front entrance of the ADO is the Plaza Caribe for $54 a night.
If you take the ADO from Playa the bus some times stops in front of a mall prior to the main terminal. You want the main 'centro' bus station, there is no mistaking it. It is a large modern bus terminal, in the AM at the airport the first stop is terminal 1 then 2 then 3.

Personally, I'd prefer to land at the airport. I don't think that there is such a thing as a good place to crash (although some places are definitely worse than others). :stirpot:

We stayed at the Comfort Inn ... no problems.

Six blocks to the west, take a right turn and head down some stairs to the basement entrance. Knock on the door and tell them Elai sent you.

Oh wait, I missed that "clean and safe" part. Sorry, can't help. :(

We stayed at the La Tortuga hotel in playa. You can walk from the ferry to the hotel in about 15 minutes. You can then take a taxi or use USA Transfers to take you to the airport the next day.

There is also a Courtyard Marriott close to the airport.

I don't know about the BEST place to crash near the Cancun airport, but I know the WORST. Years ago, AeroCozumel was flying a couple of Fairchild (Fokker) F-27s on a regular route from Cozumel to Cancun and points beyond. One of their planes have just cleared the end of the Cancun runway, when it lost power and went down in the swap at the end of the runway. No one was killed in the crash, but one passenger did die of a heart attack shortly after the fact. The crashed plane was clearly visible (as well as the giant AEROCOZUMEL name emblazoned on its side) for every other plane taking off and landing at Cancun. Bad advertising. The solution was to have a guy go out with a bucket of paint and paint over the name on the downed craft. We used to joke that from then on, all Aerocozumel pilots were ordered to carry a bucket of paint on board, just in case.

Oh, wait... is that what you meant by crashing near the Cancun airport?
Lol! This is the only airline where I released my seatbelt and just about ran into the cockpit to take control of the horrid landing approach we were on:shocked:...only a curtain back then! Upon roll out, the pilot and copilot grasped hands and feverishly shook them up and down....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom