Best place to go diving 1st week of March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol, that is what I guessed, that hammerheads are perhaps going to require blue water dives... I didn't know that it was so hard to spot one :coffee:

Tadeotadeo is correct- we will be with him on this trip. The diving promises to be awesome, and costs (once you get there...) are surprisingly low. I have been told it resembles the Caribbean of 30 years ago. No cruise ships, large hotel complexes, T shirt shops, etc. Sounds tempting, doesn't it? The problem is getting there. The area caters to the South American market, and has had little penetration from the US so far. (Tad is working diligently to change this, as you may have noticed:D) You pretty much have to commute there via San Andreas Island, and there are few, if any, direct flights to there from the US. I found I had to connect through Panama City (a common route for this trip) and from there fly to San Andreas and onward to Old Providence. A lot of hassle, and I have been told I could do the Pacific for the same travel time. Maybe so, but there is something about this place that draws me, and I haven't even been there yet. I will post a report here, as usual, after the trip, and let you all know how it came out. Wish us luck; and join us, why don't you? Long, empty beaches, pristine reefs, and no crowds appeal to anybody?:wink: Woody

If you want easy but exciting, Cabo San Lucas gives you all that. If you have any interest, visit our website for some information or just call the office and we can give you the current conditions. Have a great trip.

If you want easy but exciting, Cabo San Lucas gives you all that. If you have any interest, visit our website for some information or just call the office and we can give you the current conditions. Have a great trip.

I just dove Cabo San Lucas in January, would like to try something different.
Will look into Honduras/Belize. How is the diving in Hawaii or the Bahamas early March? There seem to be some good packages in Bahamas right now...

I just dove Cabo San Lucas in January, would like to try something different.
Will look into Honduras/Belize. How is the diving in Hawaii or the Bahamas early March? There seem to be some good packages in Bahamas right now...

Hawaii will be double the price of almost anywhere you go in Caribbean, when you work in food, hotel, and transportation to the very expensive diving there.

Been to Hawaii twice, nothing really good. Fish is not very abundent. Bahamas twice, Grand Bahama was a big disappoinment, but was on a liveaboard with Blackbeards around Bimini which was excellent.

I live on the west coast so Hawaii and Bahamas are almost the same cost, there seem to be some good packages on Orbitz for Maui.

Been to Hawaii twice, nothing really good. Fish is not very abundent. Bahamas twice, Grand Bahama was a big disappoinment, but was on a liveaboard with Blackbeards around Bimini which was excellent.

I'm confused, are you being sarcastic or is this response for real? You are talking about some of the best diving destinations in the world so I am confused about your response that there is nothing to see there.

I live on the west coast so Hawaii and Bahamas are almost the same cost, there seem to be some good packages on Orbitz for Maui.

I'm confused, are you being sarcastic or is this response for real? You are talking about some of the best diving destinations in the world so I am confused about your response that there is nothing to see there.

okay, not that I agree with him about everything, but I do agree that Bahamas and Hawaii are NOT best diving destinations in the world. Whoever told you that was exaggerating! Bahamas and Hawaii are okay, and you can see big animals at both places which is nice if you want to do that, but they are NOT the Best in any category related to diving. Nice beaches, yes, some of the best. Easy to get to from US mainland, yes. Very busy with tourists and touristy things to do, yes. Best scuba diving - not really, it is good but not the "best".

The deals to Maui you are talking about - do they include diving and food? That is one of the places that make the big difference in $$$$ on a trip.
Here are some dive ops on Maui:
Lahaina Scuba Dive Maui
Maui Dive Shop
Mike Severns Diving
Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures

check the prices per 2-tank dive trip, then compare to other places.
Hawaii diving is good and fun, but you need to realize it is more expensive there! You will need to rent a car, and also eat. Food is more expensive there as it has to be shipped in, so most people stay in condos with kitchens and try to cook meals for themselves often.

robin:D

yes, those prices are a bit steep! and good point about the food and overall cost.
But I am totally surprised that Hawaii doesn't have the best diving, I found Molokini on several "10 best scuba destinations" lists.

So what in your opinion are the best diving sites in the Americas... Bonaire? Utila/Roatan?

yes, those prices are a bit steep! and good point about the food and overall cost.
But I am totally surprised that Hawaii doesn't have the best diving, I found Molokini on several "10 best scuba destinations" lists.

So what in your opinion are the best diving sites in the Americas... Bonaire? Utila/Roatan?

What lists are you talking about? I would like to see who thinks Molokini is one of the best dives in world.

"best" is such a relative term, Bonaire is rated by Scuba Diving Magazine as the best overall destination in Caribbean. Tons of fishlife, easy diving with no current at most places so very photographer friendly, shore diving 24/7, low cost, an island that is geared to diving and nothing else.

I also like Roatan, CoCoView Resort in particular. Dramatic walls, healthy coral and reef structure, easy shore diving, very little current so it is very photographer friendly.

I also like about any liveaboard in Caribbean as they can get you out to locations that are more pristine and also you never have to carry gear around. Just dive eat dive eat dive eat...

Top destination for me in Pacific is Palau. Incredible diving from every perspective - big stuff, little stuff, color, sheer walls, deep holes, WWII wrecks, sharks, mantas, sharks.... but it is expensive and the best way to do it is by liveaboard. It is all drift diving too, and reef hooks are used to stay still at the shark gathering points, so it isn't diving for beginners.

Favorite cold water destination is California. In fact, Calif rates in my top 5 favorite destinations. The diving is cold water, some surge and current, but the fishlife is amazing and critters are weird and colorful. :D Nothing matches the beauty of the sun filtering down through the kelp forest. Does it rate on those Polls as far as Best diving in World? Nope, but as far as I am concerned it is. People who don't dive there are lazy warm water wusses. :wink: I am totally addicted to kelp and garibaldi. :D

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom