Best places to dive with Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't see dolphins on my trip to the Keys (Key Largo), but my trip report might give you some idea what the diving is like. Water temp.s are seasonally influenced; not cold all the time! Viz. was good; not Cozumel or Bonaire great, but good.

When you're further along in your diving, I've noticed the live-aboard trip reports about the Socorros mention diving with dolphins. One of those trips is on my 'maybe someday' list.

It's fine to want to see dolphins; I'd like to someday. But how important to the trip is it? It's one thing to hope it happens, another to head home from spending a few grand on a trip disappointed that it didn't. If this is a make or break aspect of your trip enjoyment, you might ought to consider one of those captive dolphin encounters.

Richard.

Roca Partida was where I saw dolphins. There were dolphins pretty much every dive there and the best was when I skipped a dive because I fell asleep in the sun after lunch and felt a bit gross so I went snorkelling instead... I was joined by a huge pod of dolphins that stuck around for over an hour with me. I don't know how often they are there though, and they weren't the reason for going on the Socorro trip but definitely a great experience. They weren't super interested in us when we were diving, but they were definitely interested in those of us who went for a snorkel instead.

We saw and snorkeled with Dolphins in Utila this past August. Dive op was Utopia Village.

From my experience, dolphins don't normally want much to do with divers. You can see them ride the bow wake, and rolling in the ocean. I saw probably 15 from the boat in Florida yesterday, but it is somewhat unusual to see them when diving. They don't often hang around, maybe a quick look, blast you with some sonar and they move along.

The spotted dophins which are located on the Bahamas bank are not "tame", but they are somewhat conditioned to playing with divers from a few particular boats. Or at least that is the way it was 15 yrs ago, when I did some trips. If you go with professionals, on a dedicated dolphin trip, they know where to look, will spend considerable tie and effort in finding them and they have the techniques down to stimulate the doplhins curiosity and this keeps them around the customers to allow very close encounters, within inches often and this play sessions last for 2 minutes or maybe 30 until they get board and just swim away. They do not use any food or chemical attractants to reinforce this behavior. These dolphins are more "friendly" than others, I think.

I have no input as to where to go, but I hope that you will avoid any of the captive "attractions".

As mentioned earlier i also would suggest to travel to Egypt/Red Sea, even if this might be half way around the globe for you, but there you most likely have the chance for dolphins encounters in their natural habitat.
Just stay away from those cattle boat tours and book some serious dive operator that actually cares.

Last edited:
I lived and taught in Key largo. It's totally subtropics year round. The temperature and water was warm and comfortable. I only saw dolphins in the wild once and they were playing in the wake of the dive boat. We did have a dolphin beaching once and my roommate at the time went down to help rescue them. I worked for an outfit that had ties with the local dolphin institute. I was able to swim with them in their enclosures. This was the next best thing to the wild.

Only Dolphins or would other large sea mammals be of interest?
Oh i would be thrilled to see any large sea mammals!! I have just always had a fascination with dolphins from a young age so I thought it would be amazing to see them in their natural habitat ( I wont take part in anything that involves them being in captivity) but seeing any large sea animals would be amazing. Any ideas would be awesome. (I know I can google but its nicer hearing from people who have personal experience :) )

I lived and taught in Key largo. It's totally subtropics year round. The temperature and water was warm and comfortable. I only saw dolphins in the wild once and they were playing in the wake of the dive boat. We did have a dolphin beaching once and my roommate at the time went down to help rescue them. I worked for an outfit that had ties with the local dolphin institute. I was able to swim with them in their enclosures. This was the next best thing to the wild.

I thought so which iswhy I was confused when told the water is quite cold! What wetsuit would you suggest for the Keys if I end up going there.

Back
Top Bottom