Best places to go in Oct/Nov?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zahgurim

Contributor
Reaction score
Like the title says... where are the best places to hit during Oct/Nov?
Is it still monsooney then?

I went last month and am going again, this time with a couple friends.
One is a noob, and may or may not have Openwater by then, which means that they may need to get their tag during the first couple days while the rest of us play on funner stuff...

VISAYAS, PG, DUMA, CORON, APO, aw heck.....anywhere is good.

I've been lucky (knock on wood :wink:) as I've made a couple of trips now during "typhoon season".

I made one trip that overlapped... last week of October to first week of November. Did miss a few dives due to weather but overall, no issues. I dived Malapascua and Moalboal during that trip. Another trip I did the beginning of June. Typhoon came through the week after I left!

I 2nd BabyD though, it's late in the season so you'll likely be okay where ever you decide. Important to remember of course that you can never predict the weather :wink:

It's a risk, but probably a small one.

I second Chris. This area is outside the 'typhoon belt' and protected by mountains from bad weather in the north.

The last typhoon in this area was a 'freak' in 1970 (Kate) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Kate_(1970)

Even so, this storm cause minimal damage here, but strengthened to be a super typhoon in the north.

It is out observation that typhoons in the north normally mean clearer skies and less rain here in Davao/Gensan.

The south on Mindanao is more affected by the inter tropical convergance zone (ITCZ). This means fairly stable weather year-round. Typically, good weather in the day followed by rain in the evening.

I think you can say it is a safe bet to plan a dive vacation in this area that will not be affected by the weather for September, October, November and beyond.

This is also the only area in the PI's where you are able to safely dive in the Celebes Sea. Gensan is on the north side of the Celebes Basis and is very rich in corals and marine biodiversity, even when compared to other areas within the Coral Triangle.

Okeedokee, good to know.

Was unsure about skirting the bad weather...

Yes, the Visayas are out of the Typhoon belt but the weather that spins off of the storms can make things unpleasant. The only problem I've run into is getting off islands on a banca or small local boats and sometimes a day or two of sheltered dive sites. Occationally the large ferries stop running for a day or two as well. I have been affected a couple of times on trips to Malapascua in the past during those months. Typhoons can occur even in December, it just depends.

Last edited:
Interested in hearing your final itinerary - I will also be there Oct/Nov.

Late Oct.-early Nov. usually is okay for central Visayas. I am also going at that time but to Malapascua and Cabilao.
Great pictures AndyT. Where did you get most of your nudibranch shots?

cim72

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom