Best places to live in the US for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wear a dry suit and you can dive any day of the year in and around Monterey California (kelp forests) and as a bonus only a few hours driving to skying (winter only).

Florida. The Keys. The big animal drift dives of Jupiter and Palm Beach. The awesome shallow reefs and wrecks of Boynton. Magnificent viz! The Venice shark tooth dives. The BHB and LBS shore dives. FTMP drysuits not required. Skins for most of the summer. The gin clear springs, caverns and caves of North Florida.

My pick? To be independently wealthy, own a big yacht, and live in all of the places mentioned above, plus many more, when I took a notion.

I Live in Key Largo. And its a nice laid back place to live at. we have diving galore! lots of spots to dive. a living reef with a Christ statue under water, wrecks, i mean i'm working on my dive cert now, and i cant WAIT to get out there. especially with Capt. Slates Dive Shop, he has a creature feature thing he does twice a week and feeds under water. They said he's been on Ripleys beleive it or Not for that feeding because he fed barracudas out of his mouth! i HAVE to see it! :)

Do any of you that live right next to great dive sites.. do you ever find that it "gets old" or just becomes to regular a part of life, verses something special to look forward to that is out of the ordinary in life? If it did get kind of old, i'd almost see that as a negative to living just far enough away that it didnt happen too often...

Not at all.

I will admit, when I was diving with an instructor friend who took his students to the same shallow reef for a few weeks, I kind of "nodded off" (I attribute that to the sea sickness meds). But it was still spectacular.I can go to the same place every day but still see a hundred different things. Check the Catalina Island and BHB threads.

I've had a few dives where we didn't see very much and I had a hard time getting excited. But that's part of the fun of diving, really; it's like slot machines. If they paid off all the time, it wouldn't be as exciting to hit a jackpot.

In our sites, you almost always see SOMETHING. You may have to get excited about why a whole circle of hermit crabs appear to be having a war, or tickling a moon snail to make it show it's shell. Or you can enjoy the profusion of colors and shapes of starfish, or how the little tiny crabs wave their white claws pugnaciously at you, despite the fact that they weigh about half an ounce and would have no chance in a fair fight. You might want to find a specific purpose for a given dive, like mine today, which was to practice with my new camera. Finding dozens of alabaster nudibranchs was a great thing, because they hold still to pose! Or you designate a dive to practice skills, doing them over and over again to try to make them perfect.

Diving the same sites also makes you part of the "community". Today, for example, I knew that at a certain set of pilings, I was likely to see a Red Irish Lord (who wasn't home today) and a scaled crab, who was. We knew if we knocked on a certain door, there would be a Giant Pacific Octopus behind it. You make the "rounds" and say hello to your acquaintances, and get started and delighted by the new guys on the block.

You only get tired of diving if you want to.

dup post (somehow)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom