Question Best Practices for Dive Charter Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recent dive charter experience brings questions to mind?

While diving on a charter boat, do you expect the use of best practice or are significant changes warranted and acceptable for the following?

Upon water entry and giving the boat an “ok” signal, do you expect boat personnel to be watching and ready/able to respond if needed??

Where is the Dive Master’s performance sweat spot from
— “just follow my direction”
— to “engagement with divers pointing out special points of interest along the dive path”
— to “follow me or not, while working hard to entertain divers including and using carried food to entice/feed animals/fish”
— to “leaving the main group of divers with a few divers to go through a swim through”
— to “take a few unsuspecting divers on a expected swim through, that could have easily been beyond their training level and on the risky side”.

I’ve only dived with 6 different dive ops so my experience is likely comparably less than many here at SB. I’m hoping to hear experiences/comments that would be valuable in making fair evaluations of a dive op/dive master.

Back
Top Bottom